HomeQ&AI need help changing my avatar

I need help changing my avatar

0

I have a photo I am trying to choose, I am on the edit page and put the link to it (from my desktop) into the blank, but nothing happens. Can you point me to where I can get the answer - I am sure there must be more thorough instructions somewhere and i can't find them. Thanks for the help! I want to be more than ¡! and have some photos of me in Oaxaca I can choose - not just me, but me in Mexico!

updated OCT 14, 2009
posted by kittybrougham

0

HI kitty make a search for help type in avatar

However, most likely your photo is too large/heavy...the system only admits like 2kb.

updated OCT 14, 2009
edited by 00494d19
Thank you, I think that is the problem. - kittybrougham, OCT 14, 2009
Has it changed? Used to be 2Mb...? - Behemoth, OCT 14, 2009
I'm sorry I am having trouble with the meaning of "make a search for help type avatar" (and I speak English!) is there a help menu somewhere on the site? - kittybrougham, OCT 14, 2009
0

It is silly to attempt to upload an image that is going to be displayed at (something like) 100x200 pixels that is more than about 80kb. Any decent photo/image editor will allow you to reduce the size/resolution of an image (and most will do so, for a variety of formats).

GIF is suited for cartoon-like images (lots of areas with solid colors) and JPEG for "photo-realistic images". They both have quite decent compression algorithms. TIFF and BMP are (usually) uncompressed formats (I believe TIFF can do compression but most implementations don't).

If you were to upload 200k and 2M versions of the same JPEG image most people would be unable to distinguish one from the other (even if it were displayed at 1600x1200 resolution and, most certainly not when displayed as a "thumbnail").

updated OCT 14, 2009
posted by samdie
I can proudly announce that my current avatar takes 4,991 bytes ;) - Behemoth, OCT 14, 2009
Of course, you right, but most people don't know how to convert image files nor compress them. So just being able to import a picture that you took with your digital camera, etc. is convenient and most of those are fairly large file sizes. - 0074b507, OCT 14, 2009
0

It is still 2mb as far as I am aware. Go to your profile page, hover the cursor over your existing avatar and a small "change avatar" appears. Click on this and import your picture but make sure it is less than 2mb.

updated OCT 14, 2009
geeeez, eddy, you are sooooooooooooo late....jejejeje, her pic us up already! - 00494d19, OCT 14, 2009
0

The two picture formats, the only two formats that can be displayed on the internet are *.gif and *.jpg as Quentin stated it.

updated OCT 14, 2009
posted by Zoltán
Perhaps true for this site but not for the internet, in general. - samdie, OCT 14, 2009
0

At first, I tried to upload a file type BMP, but the system didn't admited it. But when I changed that same file into JPG then I could upload it. Only by choosing "change your name" I could change the type. "name.bmp" into "name.jpg".

updated OCT 14, 2009
posted by nila45
0

HI kitty, to make a search, click on answers, then on search, type in the word.

* My Questions
* My Answers
* Newest
* Hot
* Unanswered
* Categories
* **Search**
*
updated OCT 14, 2009
0

Has it changed? Used to be 2Mb...?

I just tried uploading a 1.4 MB GIF picture and it was successful.

Besides file size limitations you can only upload certain image file types. (usually they are compressed file types like JPG or GIF, but I don't know the newer constraints with our new host). I do know that TIF and BMP files used to not be accepted. I don't have any idea where this information is posted anymore. You used to see the constraints in a error message if you tried uploading too big a file size or the incorrect file type.

updated OCT 14, 2009