chayote

0

is there an english word for chayote, and where can one find it? Safeway? Fred Meyer'

posted by Sean-McCoy

0

Hola. I live up in British Columbia, Canada. We got onto chayote squash a several years ago while in Arizona. There are two kinds of chayote. One is smooth and light green not much bigger than a big pear. The other is really prickly like a porcupine. I have grown the latter here on Vancouver Island. The chayote have one big flat seed in the centre. We peel them, cube in little squares and boil them for some time with fresh ginger root and salt to taste. We serve that like a vegetable. Many of my friends in Mexico boil them in the same manner but with a bit of surgar and serve them as a dessert with honey on them. I had a picture of the prickley on that I grew but i cannot find it now.

posted by jamesgv0r
0

hi sean
i think that chayote means vegetable pear, whatever that is.

0

You might see it as merliton around Louisiana, but I've always seen chayote. I find them in Publix market in Florida.

posted by motley