What does comprensivo mean?

0

Uh, yeah, as I was saying, what does comprensivo mean? It's used like this; "Un medico es mas comprensivo que un abogado." I'm in spanish 2 by the way if that helps you explain it to me.

posted by Saphire

0

Double click the word to get the definition.

A doctor can give a comprehensive exam and a lawyer can do a comprehensive review, but it doesn't make sense to me in your sentence.

A doctor is more comprehensive than a lawyer. I don't quite get the intention.

updated SEP 14, 2009
Yeah, but it doesn't make sense that a doctor is more comprensive than a lawyer. That just doesn't make sense.
I agree
It's from a homework sheet that I'm doing, and it's supposed to be comparing two different jobs using Tan+ ajj. + come, mas+ adj. + menos, etc. You know, all that good stuff.
Oh, then it is a doctor is as comprehensive as a lawyer. That makes sense.
Thank you all for commenting on my question, it really helped a lot, and I thank you for all the good comments, but I feel like Gfreed helped me the most, but I'm not saying you guys didn't help me. Thanks a lot everyone! This is an awsome site btw!
1

Use the dictionary, for me, the main feature of this site. The first definition it brings up is 'understanding'. So a doctor is seen as more caring and understanding than lawyers who are seen as conniving con-artists.

-Charlius-

posted by Charlius
read his comments. I think it explains it.
0

I think Charlius is correct. I stumbled across the word "comprensivo" when I looked up the word sympathetic.

posted by kdwinn
That helps because understanding doesn't have to mean caring, compassionate and the other attribute he was giving it. A lawyer can understand you motives and empathize and still sell you down the river by accepting a settlement not in your
favor just to earn a quick and easy fee. And I wouldn't say doctors are any more sympathetic than lawyers, just more trustworthy.
Usually comprehensive means extensive or thorough as in comprehensive insurance (covers liability, medical, accidenttal, theft, etc.) or a comprehensive test would be over all topics covered thus far, etc. When it refers to uderstanding in English iit is
talking about knowledge understanding; not caring or sympathy. Comprensivo may be different, however.
0

I don't believe that dictionary definition has anything to do with being more caring. comprehension and understanding have to do with knowledge not bedside manner.

When he explained that they are saying a doctor is as comprehensive as a lawyer it made sense.

comprehensive in this context mean thorough.

tanto.... como=as much....as

updated SEP 14, 2009
Ohhh..... so THAT'S what it means... ok that makes more sense. Thanks for all the great comments!!!
0

I'm wondering if they are trying to say a doctor is more understanding than a lawyer. Even that makes no sense and would be the wrong use of the work comprehend.

Certainly they can't be saying a doctor is more learned that a lawyer. I have know idea what the sentence means.

updated SEP 14, 2009