HomeQ&AWhat is the difference between rojo and colorado?

What is the difference between rojo and colorado?

2

updated SEP 5, 2017
posted by elisecouper

2

When I was young I remember always hearing colorado for red, but all the language books say red is rojo.

So is color red in Spanish rojo or colorado?

updated MAR 5, 2012
posted by Mike-LaMar
1

Hi Mike, well you sure look young! raspberry

Colorado is more often used for expressions, like you can see in the quote above.

Tiene la cabeza colorada. Me pones colorado. red from blushing

updated MAR 5, 2012
1

HI Nicole, very funny but you misunderstood, this is colorado:

colorado1 -da adjetivo red; ponerse ~

to blush, turn red, go red (BrE) (Méx fam) ‹chiste› risqué colorado2 sustantivo masculino red

updated MAR 5, 2012
Interesting that Spanish referes to it as colorado and English refers to it as "off-colored". - 0074b507, SEP 8, 2009
I feel stupid! I thought he meant the state of Colorado. Oh well, you learn something new every day! - Nicole-B, SEP 8, 2009
Hello, - LuisaGomezBartle, JUL 30, 2010
There are lots of red rocks in Colorado... So maybe that is where the name came from. - LuisaGomezBartle, JUL 30, 2010
0

Colorado is of Spanish origin, meaning "colored red." ... The name was applied to the Colorado river because of the red sandstone soil of the region, and came into use for the entire territory after the discovery of gold in the Pike's Peak region. In 1861 congress chose Colorado as the name for the Territory.

updated SEP 5, 2017
posted by schnitzel
Very interesting. Please feel free to start a new thread. This one has not been active since 2010. - 00fac92a, SEP 5, 2017
0

Colorado "el chapulin colorado" is a funny charactor, mi camisa es roja~my shirt is red. Colorado often used or refered to funny stuff, rojo more of the actual color.

posted by veneno284
0

Quentin, we say

tiene buen color (not colorado)

updated SEP 8, 2009
0

The children's book, Clifford the Big Red Dog is also avaialble in Spanish as, Clifford, el grand perro colorado. I had learned rojo for red. Why is colorado used in this instance?

updated SEP 8, 2009
posted by elisecouper
It means red haired (furred). See Heidita's answer above. - 0074b507, SEP 8, 2009
0

The color red is rojo.

Colorado is "colored", but it more has the meaning of "colored red" as in flush colored or "colored" as in a dirty joke as the dictionary says. In English we say my face is "red" when we're embarassed or astonished, but "color" is also used to denote skin pigmentation in general. In English we used to speak about "colored" races. Spanish happens to share our use of colorado in the blushing context and in the off-color joke context. I trying to remember if I have seen "buen colorado" to mean healthy or rosy cheeked. Long story short, rojo is red, colorado is red colored in certain contexts.

updated SEP 8, 2009
0

This question is listed under "Vocabulary and Grammar", but it sounds more like a riddle or joke. I think it would be helpful if you let us know what exactly you mean in order to have your question answered.

updated SEP 8, 2009
posted by Nicole-B
Nicole ─ I tried to search for "colorado" in the flashcards and could not find it. What is the URL you referred to under "Vocabulary and Grammar?" I think I need re-training. - Moe, SEP 8, 2009