HomeQ&A"We have to like him"

"We have to like him"

3

Today in Spanish class we had to conduct interviews with a fellow classmate and then answer their questions. So, when my classmate asked me what my favorite type of music is, I wanted to say "I don't really have a favorite type of music. My dad likes Bruce Springsteen, so we listen to that all the time. Basically, we HAVE to like him..." I was doing fine until I got to the last sentence. I had no idea how to say "We have to like him". I assume it' uses a "tener que" expression, but wasn't sure what verb to use. I started to use "gustar" but then stopped because I didn't know how to say it grammaticaly correct, seeing as "gustar" is used intransitively. I ended up just saying "Nos gusta él porque a mi padre le gusta él" but that doesn't really convey the same meaning.

Any suggestions?

updated Apr 14, 2012
posted by Nick-Cortina
Here we go again wih a short question....lol - 00494d19, Sep 3, 2009

6

I ended up just saying "Nos gusta él porque a mi padre le gusta él" but that doesn't really convey the same meaning.

Well... your sentence is correct. However, a native would not repeat "él" twice; it sounds too repetitive. We'd just say:

Nos gusta porque a mi padre le gusta.

The original sentence, with "tener que", would be like:

Básicamente, nos tiene que gustar porque a él le gusta.

Try using "fit" instead of "like", even though the meaning is not the same. At least it will give you the right construction:

Basically, it has to fit us because it fits him.

updated Jul 25, 2011
edited by lazarus1907
posted by lazarus1907
1

How about something like this:

Tenemos que decir él nos gusta, porque nuestro padre le gusta.

That would be more roughly like,

We have to say we like him, because my father likes him.

Not literally what you wanted, but it´s pretty close and i think still captures the sense of what you want to say.

updated Sep 18, 2010
posted by arnold3
1

Janice: Think of gustar as "to be pleasing". Thus, "Me gusta" literally translates to "It is pleasing to me", "Nos gustan las manzanas" is literallly "The apples are pleasing to me", etc. So, if we use that same logic in "Tenemos que gustarle a Bruce Springsteen" we are literally saying "We have to be pleasing to The Boss". "Nos tiene que gustar" therefore literly translates as "It has to be pleasing to us".

Get it?

updated Sep 4, 2009
posted by Nick-Cortina
0

Could you not have said

Teníamos que gustarle a Bruce Springstine

or would this have been an improper usage of gustar?

updated Jul 25, 2011
edited by Izanoni1
posted by Izanoni1
The fact that you used the personal "a" should tell you that you're trying to use a direct object and gustar is intransitive. - 0074b507, Sep 3, 2009
This was a real mind-bender at the time, wasn't it? :-) - webdunce, Jul 25, 2011
0

I have just seen this has not been answered:

No Janice and wedunce you have to try and translate the other way round:

Tenemos que gustarle a Bruce Springstine

We have to be liked by bruce.../ we have to please Bruce...

hence:

The boss has to like us. cool smile

And we call him boss here too:

El "boss" llega a España 15-07-2008El "boss" actúa de nuevo en nuestro país. Bruce Springsteen y la E-Street band comienzan su gira hoy en el Estadio de Anoeta de San Sebastián, que recibe por primera vez al cantante

updated Sep 6, 2009
0

Tenemos que fingir como si nos gusta él.

(possibly)

updated Sep 4, 2009
posted by webdunce
0

this means: The boss ( wink ) has to like us.

Help!! I would like to understand ...(Not about the "Boss"...I can be expected to and do at least know that, surprising as it is that Heidita does!)

updated Sep 3, 2009
posted by Janice
0

updated Sep 3, 2009
What an awesome use of the winky emoticon! Haha. Does everyone know he's "The Boss"? :-P - Nick-Cortina, Sep 3, 2009
0

Hmmm, justo iba a decir esto Nick, pero el pesado de Laza siempre se adelanta. smirk

bueno, pero puedo poner otra cosa:

No tenemos más remedio que escucharlo ya que a mi padre le gusta.

No es exactamente lo mismo pero bueno...grin

updated Sep 3, 2009