"How to know if a verb is regular or irregular"?
hiiii I want to ask "how to know if a verb is regular or irregular"?, also what is the rule of conjugation for irregualr verbs? thnx for help
That is the kind of thing in languages that just comes from practice and memorization. Personally I find that, if it sounds awkward when conjugated in a regular way, it's often irregular.
The rules for irregular verbs are tricky and inconsistent.
That why they are called ir-regular, because they don't follow rules, they are not regular! Regular verbs are perfectly consistent.
Nevertheless, this could be useful:
Remarks about verbs ending in -ar
- Less than 5% of the verbs in ar are irregular
- The past participles of all -ar verbs are regular
- All verbs ending in ear (almost 15% of all Spanish verbs) are regular.
- All verbs in iar and uar are nearly regular, but 27% of them have an stress shift.
Remarks about verbs ending in -er
- Over 72% of the verbs in er are irregular.
- All 18 verbs in aer are irregular. They all add a g in both presents, plus other changes.
- There are 24 verbs in er with irregular past participle.
Remarks about verbs ending in -ir
- Over 33% of the verbs in ir are irregular.
- All 55 verbs in uir are irregular, and they all add an i to both of the present tenses.
The so called "rules" for irregular verbs make them tricky and inconsistent. A verb is regular when it follows a pattern of endings depending if it's infinitive form ends with -AR or -IR/-ER. Some irregular verbs such as "ser" do not follow these patterns at all. Please do notice that irregular verbs are not irregular in all tenses and moods. Other verbs have irregular forms in some tenses and moods by having a stem or spelling change. Notably in the Preterite tense, some irregular verbs share a sequence of endings. These verbs include: tener, estar, hacer, poder, and poner. I've noticed this site's conjugation pages don't seem to tell whether a verb is irregular anymore.
The word irregular means "without a rule" (no regular). Are you really asking for the rule for verbs without a rule?