Is there an easier way to type the accents?

2

I'm having trouble with getting a high score on the typing timed activities because it takes some time to click the right accents. Is there any way I can use the keyboard to type the accents? Thank you!

Lazarus1907 said something about selecting the Spanish keyboard, how is that done?

updated AGO 27, 2009
edited by STLAmy
posted by STLAmy

1

'm still having trouble, though, with getting the characters with accents to show up

Did the US International keyboard install correctly?'

Here's a simple test to see if the international keyboard installed and is active.

Hit the apostrophe key. If it types an apostrophe then the keyboard is not installed or not enabled.

When the keyboard is working correctly you have to hit the apostrophe key twice to get the apostrophe. (actually you get two apostrophes).

Did you keep the default English keyboard installed also? Is it possible that you are still using the English keyboard rather than the US international keyboard? You should have an icon on your status bar or desktop where you can switch between the installed keyboards. The status bar icon will only say EN because both are English keyboards. If you had installed a Spanish keyboard it would toggle between EN and SP. Click on the icon and you will see a list of installed keyboards. Make sure that you select the US International one.

I always suggest that you remove the default English keyboard to quit having to worry about toggling or which one is the default keyboard. You can do everything with the US International keyboard that you can with the default English keyboard so you don't need to keep it installed. Also if the English keyboard is your default keyboard and you turn on the US international one and then switch to a new program it will turn the English keyboard back on. I used to have both installed. When I came to SpanishDict I activated the US International keyboard. If I opened another window to Google something or to copy a link to a dictionary definition it would go back to my default English keyboard. When I went back to my original window I had lost my Spanish characters. It becomes difficult to keep track of which keyboard was active. Just remove the English one. It's not needed.

Feel free to PM me if you can't get it to work. ![alt text][1]

[1]: US InternationalUS International keyboard

updated AGO 13, 2009
3

We had a Reference section article on how to install a keyboard for creating Spanish characters, but I don't see it anymore.

You might look at this old thread and see if the links still work.

http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/7589/how-to-type-spanish-accents-question-marks-etc

The screen captures look different from Windows XP to Vista, but it's basically the same method.

The reason that I installed a keyboard capable of creating the characters was to improve my scores in the timed activities. I still don't like the idea that the exercises test your typing ability more than your Spanish knowledge. It's very simple to get 20 out of 20 cards correct, but still get a so-so score if you can't type fast or accurately.

updated AGO 12, 2009
1

Now, when you need an accent mark, hold down the Alt button and type the following numbers using your number pad --not the numbers which go along the top of your keyboard, but the numbers which are on the letter keys. For example, the letter U key also has a number 4 on it and the letter L key also has a number 3 on it. These are the numbered keys you want to use. Use the following numbers to get your accented characters: 130-é 160-á 161-í 162-ó 163-ú 164-ñ 168--¿ 173--¡

i take online spanish and get major points deducted if i DONT use these. not fun. i reccomend printing this out and posting on the side of your computer screen. But im just a 10th grader using an online dictionary as a cheat sheet. No offense will be taken if you choose not to use it. ^_^ hope it helps!!

updated AGO 27, 2009
posted by chica_es_bonita
0

I am having prob with the same thing!! its hard for search then click it. and get low scores.

somebody know a short way??

updated AGO 27, 2009
posted by minhaj
0

Use this link and scroll down:

http://www.studyspanish.com/accents/typing.htm#winXP

updated AGO 27, 2009
posted by Jason7R
0
updated AGO 27, 2009
posted by jaysprout
0

I'm still having trouble, though, with getting the characters with accents to show up. I followed the steps in the post "How to type in Spanish", and I watched the video on how to install the US International keyboard and completed those steps as well. I'm using Windows XP OS. Is there a different method I need to follow in order to type the Spanish accents? Thank you.

updated AGO 12, 2009
posted by STLAmy
0

I forgot how to change your keyboard to Spanish. Can you tell how?

updated AGO 12, 2009
posted by RachelC
0

I used to select the English keyboard to type English, and switch to the Spanish one to type Spanish... until I realized that with the Spanish one I could type anything in English, but with the English one I couldn't type Spanish, so I no longer use the English one. Also, I can type French and German characters with the Spanish keyboard.

updated AGO 12, 2009
posted by lazarus1907
0

I'm Swedish and I can type all Spanish characters, no problems. Just lately I've had problems. Whenever I use the key to make accents, " ´ ", I get the Û character instead. :| They thing just appears when I hit the accent key, when using the Recall section.

updated AGO 12, 2009
posted by Gustav-R