Gracias - Thank you for this site

0

I started SpanishDict's lessons a few months ago and have already learned more than I did in my year long high school spanish class. I was able to use what I have learned today when I had a spanish speaking patient. The clinic doesn't have a translator so I had to rely on my very limited spanish and the patient's limited english. Unfortunately when I said "Estoy estudiando espanol pero mi espanol es muy malo" she assumed I could understand anything she said in her very rapid spanish. But I was able to communicate her insulin dosages in spanish, determine she needed "tres meses" in refills, and that she was "preocupdada" about her "ojos". So thank you.

posted by alice_m

0

Hello everybody.
Like Anne4 I joined Spanish
Dict very recently and I have learned new vocabularies I have not encountered in high school spanish long, long ago. Muchas gracias Paralee. I really enjoy your lessons and look forward to these lessons whenever I have time and I do take a lot of time somtimes neglecting other chores.
A proposito, before SpanishDict went on Maintenance I used to listen to One of the spanish audio lessons by Ben Curtis and Marina Diaz but now I can find the program. It is off line now with your new program? A decir verdad, I just loved hearing them talk.

posted by Lorna-Gray
0

Anne,

Thank you so much for the message. It is very refreshing to hear something positive. As Heidi said, since we reopened the site, we have had a few bugs, so most of what I hear is about bugs, problems, mistakes, etc.

I am so happy you are using what you have learned in the real world. That is the point, of course! To communicate with others. Don't worry so much about vocabulary or grammar, those come in time with practice in real conversation. It's so exciting isn't it? To really be in there, communicating with someone that you otherwise couldn't. So ¡enhorabuena!

posted by Paralee
0

Annie,
Welcome to the club. I translate for our hospitals and other public facilities. Mississippi has a small, but rapidly growing, Latino population. I learn another word or meaning everytime I translate or talk to a native. I agree 100% with qfreed, communicaion is the ultimate goal. Even if your Spanish is not perfect (I know mine in not!) then you have achieved a goal. I will never have the knowledge that Lazarus and some of the other senior members have, to be able to argue minor points of the grammer, I wish I did have that type of expertise. I think that sometimes we loose sight of the ultimate end, to be able to communicate with people from another culture.

Vance

posted by Vance-Moore2
0

This is a lovely post, Anne smile

We had (and are still having) a lot of problems on reopening the site and had a lot of complaints. It is really refreshing and satisfying to see your post and see how well you are doing.

Thanks a lot and I will immediately point this out to Paralee, it is her doing after all smile

0

Fluent or beginner-communication is the ultimate goal. Leave the art form to grammarians and poets.