Vamos a ir a Costa Rica...algunas sugerencias..por favor.

2

¡Hola todos!

Mí esposo y yo quieremos a ir a Costa Rica pronto, en junio.

¿Adonde es el lugar mejor a ir?

Mí pregunta (en inglés): Where is the best place to go in Costa Rica?

¿Qué pueden (can you all') recomiende?

¿Está acampada buen o mejor a conseguir un hotel?
Is the camping good, or better to get a hotel?

Gracias por sus entrada.
Thanks for your input.

updated NOV 17, 2010
edited by 0057ed01
posted by Megustacaballos
Changed typo in the word "sugerencias" You accidentally typed an "a" after the "g." (That word has always been a tough one for me, both to say and to spell!)

0

Based on your aversion to chain restaurants, try Lonely Planet. Its online guide to Costa Rica looks terrific! It's written by people who have intense curiosity, a spirit of independence, and great respect for and a desire to melt into the culture.

Here's a link: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/costa-rica

posted by 0057ed01
0

Anyone else have input on "things to know" about going to costa rica?

I finally bought plane tickets and am leaving in about two months and am very excited. smile

I am most interested in knowing any differences in words / speech /language that might differ in the tico dialect from other spanish countries that would be useful to know. Or, just anything in general.

Necesito practicar español! But knowing any tidbits specific to that region would help a lot I think.

posted by cheeseisyummy
0

¡Hola Motley!

¿Cómo está usted? Cuanto tiempo sin escribirte.

Estoy aún aprendiendo español...tratando mucho a practicar. Mi clase de español es terminado proximo lunes.

No viaje a Costa Rica todavía. Mi viaje ahí esta en julio.

Primero, voy a ir a Italia y Barcelona desde 30 de mayo hasta 7 de junio con algunos de mi compañeros de mi clase de español. ¡Estoy muy entusiasmados!

We've not done future tense yet...so, have you been to Italy? ...si así que, ¿Adonde?

Me encanta este foro. Es muy bueno.

Espero que todos es bien contigo. Tengo a ir a trabajo ahora, pero lo fue bueno a oír de usted.

Adios y buen día,

Megustacaballos

updated MAY 7, 2008
posted by Megustacaballos
0

Hola Mariamer,

Oí cosas buenas sobre la Arenal Volcano también. (I have heard good things about the volcano too....I think that's how to say it en español)

Mi viaje a Costa Rica este en julio, pero primero, voy a ir a Italia y Barcelona. Salimos 30 de mayo hasta 7 de junio. Esta es un viaje con algunos mis companeros de mi clase de español.

My husband is a high school sciene teacher and I think he'll really be able to help us (we are meeting my sister and her husband down there) appreciate all the wildlife and biodiversity. I am not, however, looking forward to the bugs. I swell up really bad from mosquito bites so I can't forget the hydrocortizone and bug spray. :o)

¿Cuándo va a ir a Costa Rica?

Que tenga un buen día.

Megustacaballos

updated MAY 7, 2008
posted by Megustacaballos
0

Hola megusta,
Ví su post y quisiera saber ¿cómo fue el vieje a Costa Rica?
¿aprendío mucho español'

updated MAY 6, 2008
posted by motley
0

I have been planning to visit Costa Rica as well. I have done some research and it looks like it is a fabulous country. I am interested in going to Mal Pais and Montezuma on the West coast which look like nice beach towns. I think the Arenal Volcano is also a must see. Hope you have a enjoyable trip.

posted by mariamer
0

Gracias Zoltán,

I think our biggest challenge in our visit will be to stay out of the tourist traps. I appreciate the feedback.

posted by Megustacaballos
0

What I have is second-hand information. West coast of Costa Rica is more tourist oriented and more expensive than the east coast, while the accommodation on the east coast is just as good.
What ever this worth.

posted by Zoltán
0

Hi N!
Thanks again for the great info. I think that is what we are going to do, just get flights down there (and back...for now) and explore on our own with no timetable, other than just 7-8 days vacation time. My husband and I both work full-time, plus we have animals, which I miss terribly when I'm gone.

My comphrension of the Spanish language is growing day by day, it is just my speaking that I need time and a lot of practice with!

Again, I appreciate your kind words. And yes, I love rice...we eat a lot of arroz con habitchuelos (') here.

Thanks for your contact efforts too. I briefly looked on the official CR website, and it looks like they had a vast amount of information too.

¿De donde eres tú'

posted by Megustacaballos
0

I have been to Costa Rica several times and have many "Tico" friends. We have not gone as tourists, our reasons for being there was to teach and minister in churches and such. Tours are overrated, in my opinion, and you really just don't get your moneys worth. If I were going as a tourist, I would just go on my own so as to be able to take my time to see what really interests me and to be able to linger at will. Besides that you can get involved with the people themselves and that is what helps you to really know a country.
Most countries I know have good literature and highlight areas of interest and you can find those in any decent hotel- the people thamselves can give good info on places to go and see.
I assume you can rent cars and the roads are excellent. There are restaurants of all kinds and everywhere I've eaten is great. (I hope you like rice!)
I don't know about horseback riding, I'm sure hiking would be great, although we've never had opportunity to do so. Perhaps try to google something. I will email some friends there and see if I can get you some information on that and other things or at least where you can find information.
I only warn you- you will be talking about building a retirement or vacation home there.

posted by N-Limones
0

Thanks N. Limones!

That is great to hear. We try not to eat at chain restaurants right here in our own town, so surely we won't do that down there.

Have you been there or are you from there? We are really getting excited about planning it. There are tours, but they get cost prohibitive, and we are young-ish (41), so we are flexible.

I'd love to get some hiking and maybe even some horseback riding in down there.

Thanks again for your enthusiastic feedback! I appreciate it. ...Now if I could just write what I just wrote as quickly as I did in Spanish! Oh well...with time.

¡Que tenga un estupenda día!

posted by Megustacaballos
0

What can I say? ALL of Costa Rica is wonderful! The people (called Ticos) are friendly-it is clean-
They have 'sodas' on every corner where you can get a decent, clean, but inexpensive meal. (sodas are like miniature restaurants open to the street. Don't waste time going to McDonalds and such when the native food is soooo good.
There is a butterfly farm close to the San José. It is really nice and you can take a ride in an ox-cart, too.
I don't know about camping but there are nice native hotels that are safe and clean- not expensive.
Costa Rica is rather small and it doesn't take to long to get anywhere.
I promise you- you will not want to come back!!

posted by N-Limones