HomeQ&A"You have to have someone for whom you're most important"

"You have to have someone for whom you're most important"

0

Hello,

I'm trying to form the following sentence in Spanish:
"One has to have someone for whom he/she is most important" or "You have to have someone for whom you're most important".

Here is what I made:
"Hay que tener alguien, para quien estás el/la más importante."

Is this sentence correct? The first part, the usual usage of 'hay que' seems to be ok (I want a 'personless' form wink ), yet I'm not certain if 'para quien' is the right way to say 'for whom' and if I should use 'el/la' before 'más' to express 'most' or rather use 'importantissimo' instead smile can anyone suggest a unpersonalized form of the second sentence? smile Hope my questions aren't vague wink

Thanks in advance!

updated NOV 12, 2008
posted by Jakub

0

Thanks Natasha smile now it's clear smile

updated NOV 12, 2008
posted by Jakub
0

The simple explanation (others can give you a better one): "el que" goes together, basically meaning "the one that" or "the one who". "para el que" = "for whom"

Jakub said:

Thanks for clarifying lazarus1907! I like the second suggestion most: Tienes que estar junto a alguien para el que tú eres lo más importante.

Could you elaborate on the second sentence construction? The 'que' is confusing me smile

>

updated NOV 12, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

Thanks for clarifying lazarus1907! I like the second suggestion most:
Tienes que estar junto a alguien para el que tú eres lo más importante.

updated NOV 12, 2008
posted by Jakub
0

May I ask why you chose "estar junto"?

lazarus1907 said:

Jakub said:

Thanks LadyDi, didn't know the 'hace falta' phrase smile I'm confused with the 'para quién' - so should it be para or por? smile

The most common (non-localization) usage of "por" is to give reasons.

The most common usage of "para" is to indicate destination and the person who receive things (the "destination" person)

Here, that "quién" is the person who is missing something, so it must be "para".

Anyway, I suggest this completely rephrased alternatives:

Tienes que estar junto a alguien a quien le importas.

Tienes que estar junto a alguien que te aprecia por encima de todo.

Tienes que estar junto a alguien que no puede vivir sin ti.

>

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

Jakub said:

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by lazarus1907
0

Good explanation! I agree, otherwise it sounds like you're saying "because of me," not "for me."

LadyDi said:

Jakub said:

I don't claim to be an expert on prepositions in Spanish (or in English for that matter) but what I did was switch it around, 'Ella es lo más importante para mí,' and in that context 'para' sounds more appropriate which is why I would stick with that.

>

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

Jakub said:

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by LadyDi
0

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Jakub
0

I'm struggling with this but how about, 'Hace falta tener a alguien para quién eres lo más importante.''

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by LadyDi
0

Natasha said:

The n in esperan makes it the plural form, to agree with resultados. Is that what you were asking?

Yup smile now it's clear smile thanks!

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Jakub
0

Jakub said:

Natasha said:

I don't think you can use "se es" like that. Some (potential) ways to begin the sentenceraspberry.S. We had quite a discussion yesterday (happened to be about chufas), the upshot of which is the following. The reference section probably should say "Se esperan resultados," not "Se espera resultados."

This impersonal form seemed really, really close to polish impersonal forms smileWhy the 'n' like in the plural form? smilePS. Many thanks for help!

>

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

Natasha said:

I don't think you can use "se es" like that. Some (potential) ways to begin the sentence: P.S. We had quite a discussion yesterday (happened to be about chufas), the upshot of which is the following. The reference section probably should say "Se esperan resultados," not "Se espera resultados."

This impersonal form seemed really, really close to polish impersonal forms smile
Why the 'n' like in the plural form? smile

PS. Many thanks for help!

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Jakub
0

I don't think you can use "se es" like that. Some (potential) ways to begin the sentence:

Hay que . . .
Es necesario que . . .
Es importante que . . .
Se necesita . . .
Todos necesitan . . .

P.S. We had quite a discussion yesterday (happened to be about chufas), the upshot of which is the following. The reference section probably should say "Se esperan resultados," not "Se espera resultados."

Jakub said:

Thanks for tips Natasha! Just found this article about impersonal form thanks to your tip about impersonal smileSo how about such sentence:Hay que tener a alguien por quien se es la persona más importanteorHay que tener a alguien por quien se es lo más importante.

>

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

Thanks for tips Natasha! Just found this article about impersonal form thanks to your tip about impersonal smile

So how about such sentence:

Hay que tener a alguien por quien se es la persona más importante
or
Hay que tener a alguien por quien se es lo más importante.

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Jakub
0

I think it should be "lo más importante" or "la persona más importante," but wait for native speakers. Also, I believe you mean to say that "hay que" is an impersonal form.

updated NOV 11, 2008
posted by Natasha