rosetta stone program vs tell me more program

0

Hola,
I am new here. I want to learn basic Spanish as fast as possible. My question is; Which program is faster and easier for a beginner to learn Puerto Rican Spanish? I am not a fast learner and speak only english. Please advise.
Mucho gracias
hau

posted by hau-johnson

0

Janice,
Mucho gracias, I will check out those sites. I use Spanishdict as my main resource to learn Spanish with the many sites here and help provided 24-7 by all the nice people. Gracias
hau

updated NOV 5, 2008
posted by hau-johnson
0

hola janice

su nombre igual con me amiga,de donde eres,soy aqui en austalia,voy a ver su website.

juan

updated NOV 5, 2008
posted by gerardo-juan
0

Whatever else you do (and you can find a lot of help learning Spanish in the Internet, I am sure you have already discovered) be sure to go to www.learner.org and watch "Destinos" which begins in Seville and before ending in Mexico, spends quite a few episodes in Puerto Rico. The characters even discuss some of the differences in their respective vocabularies.

I, too, am just learning Spanish, not speaking or understanding all that much yet, and so I could hear no differences in any of the accents at all!!! But I have learned other languages for which it was also true that in the beginning I could hear no regional differences - accents which sound strong to me now.

In any case, "Destinos" is an intelligent program and it did not bore me even though I hardly understood anything in the beginning.

By the way, lazarus1907 offered me a valuable piece of advice regarding pronunciation in the beginning. If you learn "castellano" you will perhaps find spelling easier due to the strong differences in letters such as the "z" or "c" following "i´s" and "e´s" (Ps, I could hear those particular differences right from the git-go.)

And incidentally, a good site to learn pronunciation is http://www.studyspanish.com/pronunciation/

updated NOV 5, 2008
posted by Janice
0

lazarus1907, Gracias. I guess my original question is still, Which learning program [Rosetta Stone or Tell Me More] would be faster for an english speaking slow learner to learn beginning spanish?

Gus, Gracias.

Mucho gracias all.
hau

updated NOV 3, 2008
posted by hau-johnson
0

Hello My friend. I am from Guatemala Central America, living in Maryland where there are Spanish Speaking people from all over South America, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic and I don/t have any problems comunicating to them in Spanish.

updated NOV 3, 2008
posted by 00769608
0

I understand your concern, but think of this: if you gave me a book published in Puerto Rico, and you removed the page where it says "Printed in Puerto Rico", it is very likely that I couldn't figure out whether it was printed in Spain or abroad. I have several books printed in Mexico and other Latin-American countries, and you can't tell that they are not from Spain; same spelling, same vocabulary, same everything. Colloquial Spanish varies a lot from country to country, but formal written Spanish is practically the same everywhere, so communication should never be a problem, no matter what variety of Spanish you speak.

updated NOV 3, 2008
posted by lazarus1907
0

Heidita, No I have not checked out the learning section, but I will now. Gracias

lazarus1907, I agree, but I would feel better if I could also communicate in puerto Rican Spanish. Gracias

I was in hopes that a non spanish speaking person had seen and compared the two programs. Gracias to all who can help me decide.
Mucho gracias
hau

updated NOV 3, 2008
posted by hau-johnson
0

The population of Puerto Rico is about 1% of Spanish speaking world (according to Wikipedia). Surely, with all the descendants of Puertorrican families, this figure goes up a bit, but not enough to justify designing a course based on such a minority within the whole picture.

Puertorrican people are strongly influenced by English speakers (from USA), African and native American, so their speech is not just peculiar, but also unique. Learn standard Spanish, and with the aid of your English you'll be able to communicate in most Spanish speaking countries, although you'll have to learn their slang and their regional terms.

updated NOV 2, 2008
posted by lazarus1907
0

HI Hau, have you seen our learn section?

http://www.spanishdict.com/learn/

updated NOV 2, 2008