Words in classified ads for apartments in Mexico

0

My Spanish is somewhat rudimentary and I am moving to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in April. In searching the on line classified ads in "Mano a Mano", I am slightly stumped by an abbreviation and a word.

The abbreviation is "Rec." preceeded by a number as in "1 Rec." or "2 Rec.". I assume it means "one room " as in a "studio apartment" or "2 rooms" as in a "1 bedroom apartment". Am I correct? If not, please tell me how to interpret this. If so, what does "Rec." stand for? It doesn't match the words I know for "room" or "bedroom". I'll probably laugh when I find out, but at the moment it escapes me.

Also, I assume "amueblados" means "furnished" as in "with furniture". Am I correct on this as well?

Thanks.

posted by Dogear

0

(Del ár. hisp. alqúbba, este del ár. clás. qubbah, y este del pelvi gumbad, cúpula [de un templo del fuego]).

I can get the gist of that except for pelvi gumbad.

posted by motley
0

Motley, alcoba is also used in Spain, old fashioned though. But still understood. I wonder if it is used in other countries''!!

*alcoba.

1. f. dormitorio.*
0

Rec. is an abreviation for "Recamara", which means "room". You are basically right. Again you are correct on "amueblados".

posted by Alfredo
0

Thanks heidita. Recámara makes sense. I am used to cuarto for bedroom. So, "1 Rec." would mean "1 bedroom" and not "1 room" as in a "studio apartment" which I was assuming.

posted by Dogear
0

Thanks Dave. Recámara makes sense. I am used to cuarto for bedroom. So 1 Rec. would mean 1 bedroom. I was assuming it mean 1 room as in a studio apartment.

posted by Dogear
0

One of my Learn in Your Car cd's has alcoba for bedroom. I wonder where they use that.

posted by motley
0

re: habitaciones, I learned this on my first trip to Spain. I said 'cuarto' at the hotel. While I can't remember his exact response, I distinctly remember a slight disconnect in the conversation before I realized rooms are 'habitaciones' in Spain.

posted by dave
0

Dave is quite right. In Mexico they use recámara. In Spain we would say: habitaciones.

Amueblado is also correct.

0

'Ameublado' does indeed mean 'furnished'.

The other one was new to me, Puerto Ricans say 'cuarto' for bedroom. It sounds like Mexicans use 'recámara'.

There is a member from Mexico who is pretty active, named Alba. Maybe she can confirm for us.

From http://www.learn-spanish-faster.com/phrases/real-estate-spanish.html:

Estamos buscando una casa de tres recámaras y dos baños.

We're looking for a house with three bedrooms and two bathrooms.

posted by dave