Si la vaca remosca, la cria no mama.

0

I can't find the word remosca in a dictionary.

If the cow remosca, the mother doesn't raise it.

''''

posted by motley

0

It didn't dawn on me that mama didn't have an accent.

posted by motley
0

Thank you, that helps!!

By the way . . . in America mummy always refers to an Egyptian mummy -- you know, as in how they preserved the dead Pharoahs thousands of years ago. The affectionate word for mother would be mommy . . . but now we're getting far afield!

posted by Natasha
0

Forgive me, but that doesn't sound right. Human babies breastfeed. I've never heard anyone use that term for livestock. Calves feed or suckle, as Lazarus said -- well actually they butt with their heads to get the milk but I can't think of a good word for that.

posted by Natasha
0

The word I am not sure about is "remoscarse", but I believe that it could be a regional word from the North of Spain meaning "Get to the shadow to avoid been bothered by flies", which is not something I know how to translate... in one word. But I have no means to check this. The rest is pretty clear:

La cría = the calf
no = no
mamar = to suckle

The word is not mamá (mum), but "mama" (it suckles), from the verb "mamar" (to suckle), from where it also comes the word "mama" (breast). That's what happen if people don't use or read the accents carefully.

posted by lazarus1907
0

What kind of construction is "la cria no mama"? I can't even make sense of that part of the phrase. It sounds to me like it should be "la mama no la cria" if you want to say the mother will not raise it. In other words I'm completely confused . . . and do you mean you can't translate it because it's inappropriate or because you really don't know'

posted by Natasha
0

Where does it say that? I read "If the cow ''''', the calf doesn't suckle. I can only guess the missing verb, but I've found one I can't even translate.

posted by lazarus1907
0

Nunca había oído esa palabra, pero parece ser que en Cantabia (una región del norte de España, "remoscar" significa ponerse a la sombra para defenderse de las moscas. "Mamar" significa "to suckle".

posted by lazarus1907
0

i think it is "if the calf does not breast feed the mother will not raise it"

posted by jamesgv0r