The word estoy

0

When do you use the word estoy. Also, what is the spanish term for word'

posted by thomas-brower
You use "Estoy" to covey an action : Yo Estoy Comiendo". You use "Soy" to convey who or what you do : Yo soy un Hombre. Yo soy un Bombero.

0

Hi Thomas: Hi, discovered the "double click" function yet? Just click on the word you are looking for and it will lead you directly to the dictionary and the different "discussions" with the word involved.
I hope that's useful.

updated MAY 27, 2008
0

You would use estoy when you are referring to a non-permanent state such as estoy cansado - I am tired. You might be tired now but you probably won't be in the morning.

You use soy if you are talking about something that doesn't change eg yo soy neocelandesa - I am a New Zealander.

That's a pretty simple explanation but it helps me sometimes to tell which one of these ser verbs to use in a situation.

updated MAY 27, 2008
posted by Karen
0

There are to verbs for "to be" in Spanish, ser and estar. estoy is the first-person present tense conjugation of estar, and thus would be translated "I am."

Keeping ser and estar straight is pretty difficult for Spanish language learners. If you search on this site, you can find some earlier discussions about this topic.

If you use the dictionary feature on this site, it will translate "word" for you.

updated MAY 26, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

The spanish word for 'word' is: (la) palabra

updated MAY 26, 2008
posted by gitte-danésa