HomeQ&AWhat are some good movies or literature in Spanish to assist in the learning process?

What are some good movies or literature in Spanish to assist in the learning process?

5

I have almost completed section three. Will movies like Volver and y tu mama tambien be too difficult? Also, reading is easier, can anyone recommend some good books in Spanish?

posted by la_langosta

4

Do you have Univision?

I usually watch with the subtitles on and then look up words.

It's painful at first but you get used to it.

posted by danvallejo
Agreed... I do this too... I find that the Novellas (soap operas) have been the best for me so far. They need to speak more slowly, for the drama. :) - kerflop, JUL 20, 2010
3

I've found that listening to Mexican radio has helped my learning smile particularly my listening skills. My boyfriend recommended a Mexican radio station to me and i listen to it everyday. It has really helped with my pronunciation and understanding when someone talks in spanish. Plus! I get to listen to music i like, which makes this learning aid fun too smile

posted by Cardiff1985
What is it station? Is it online? - kerflop, JUL 20, 2010
3

Spanish subtitled version of I, Claudius - view on You Tube - Well worth it.

posted by Martin-Rizzi
3

My favorite movie in Spanish is "El Estudiante". I posted a thread about it a while back. :D I think it is great for learning... no lightning fast speakers!!!

edited by NikkiLR
posted by NikkiLR
2

I really liked the Harry Potter books in Spanish.

Also, Cajas de Cartón was a good book.

There are a ton of blockbuster movies that are dubbed in Spanish, so you have many to chose from.

2

Could I suggest using your favorite films / programmes on dvd.

I use Spanish audio with English subtitles, or English audio with Spanish subtitles. In time, I will try with both on Spanish.

I have found that if I'm already familiar with the plot and the characters, its easier to focus on the language.

posted by fontanero
I agree. - --Mariana--, JUL 20, 2010
1

La Muerte de Artemio Cruz - Carlos Fuentes

posted by Martin-Rizzi
0

And don't forget Netflix. They have a bunch of Spanish movies with sub-titles.

posted by danvallejo
0

The Harry Potter books are great. Buy copies in both English and Spanish and then read them side by side. You can also practice reading them aloud to work on your flow and pronounciation. If you have a friend (or a spouse you can talk into it, like I do), you can each take a book and take turns reading it aloud paragraph by paragraph, first in English, then in Spanish (and the other way around when you become more proficient). Change books with your reading partner every so often so that each of you get equal practice with each side of the equation. You can also read a paragraph, translate it aloud and then check it against the translation. I have tried other types of literature but find the vocabulary to be a bit too advanced for the beginner/intermediate speaker. Once you get fairly good I would suggest books by Isabel Allende (readily available in both Spanish and English). The only one of her's I would steer clear from is "Zorro", which was bafflingly awful! I also love to read the NIV version of the Bible along side of the NIV version of the Santa Biblia (also readily available). That will keep you busy for a while....enjoy!

posted by Echoline