HomeQ&A"Ni a empujones" en la canción por Rocio Durcal?

"Ni a empujones" en la canción por Rocio Durcal?

2

There is a song sung by Rocio Durcal and Roberto Carlos called "Si piensas... si quieres..." where he tells her: "Y por las buenas yo te quiero Pero a las malas ni a empujones". How could it be literally translated?

edited by Yanaty
posted by Yanaty

3

Alba says:

I thought that "empujón" = a strong push but I just found the following a empujones indica que algo se hace con momentos irregulares de dedicación

Then she offers:

I'll love you when things are good but not when they're bad, not even in sporadic moments.

And finally she asks:

I'm interested to know whether or not the "sporadically" definition of "a empujones" is correct here or if it should just be "not even if I were pushed".

Unfortunately either you didn't see, or didn't quite understand the example they gave below that "momentos irregulares" deifnition. The example given is:

Se graduó a empujones.

So, this interpretation of "a empujones" means that something gets done by / in fits and starts - repeated busts of activity. "He graduated by fits and starts".

In any event, that is not what the song means.

In the context of the song, "a empujones" means to force someone to do something, to push them into getting it done.

So the expression: "Y por las buenas yo te quiero Pero a las malas ni a empujones" if it is to make sense in English, would have to be interpreted into something less literal, such as:

"And if you treat me right, I'll love you, but treat me wrong and you'll get nothing, no way, no how".

edited by Gekkosan
posted by Gekkosan
Thanks, Gekko :) That makes so much more sense. I like your translation. - alba3, JUL 20, 2010
I like this translation! I did get a feeling that he is saying “no way” in some slangish way :) - Yanaty, JUL 20, 2010
2

An exact translation is not easy, but the meaning is something like : I love you if you are sweet, but if you are not, I don't, even if you push me hard.

I guess you can do a better job putting it in English, Marianne.

posted by 00e657d4
how about 'not even if you force me'? - margaretbl, JUL 20, 2010
2

"Hacer algo por las buenas" : to do something because somebody has convinced you politely to do it.

"Hacer algo por las malas": to do something because somebody is pushing you in a hard way to do so.

posted by 00e657d4
Thanks, G. So, how would the whole sentence translate to Spanish? - --Mariana--, JUL 20, 2010
0

I would have thought that "por las buenas y las malas" would mean "in good times and bad" but, then again, Guillermo's explanation makes sense, too.

Either way, it's a hard one to translate directly:

And in good times I love you but in bad times not even if I were pushed.

or, maybe,

And in good times I love you but in bad times I don't even love you sporadically.

Si quieres que yo vuelva a ti No me pongas condiciones Que con el cambio se te olvida Quien lleva aquí los pantalones Y por las buenas yo te quiero Pero a las malas ni a empujones

Here's my guess at a loose translation: If you want me to come back to you, don't tell me what I can and cannot do because when things change you forget who wears the pants here. I'll love you when things are good but not when they're bad, not even in sporadic moments.

edited by alba3
posted by alba3
Ah - no. "Sporadic moments" definitely does not fit here at all. I'll attempt to clarify the confusion with an answer. - Gekkosan, JUL 20, 2010
0

Hi Yanaty. Welcome to the forum.

I think this means:

And for the good things, I love you

But even at your worst you are not rude, pushy

Let's wait for some more interpretations!

Edit: Guillermo is a native speaker. Please look at his answer.

edited by --Mariana--