HomeQ&AWhat is the proper way to say rock sculptor in Spanish?

What is the proper way to say rock sculptor in Spanish?


Escultor de piedra?

updated JUL 18, 2010
posted by wendo1980

4 Answers


Escultor en piedra. May also be: tallador en piedra.

updated JUL 18, 2010
posted by Gekkosan

Are we talking here of a sculptor or a stone mason?

A sculptor = Escultor en piedra. (an artist who cuts stone to make a work of art)

but, a stone mason ( a skilled stone cutter who cuts stone for constructing buildings)...

= un picapedrero (artesano) stone mason, stone cutter

Please note: While it might seem a minor distinction to make between a sculptor and a Stone mason the fact that two different words are used in Spanish to reflect the two separate occupations justify in my view the need to draw attention to the difference/s

updated JUL 18, 2010
edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Good point,feliz - sanlee, JUL 18, 2010

I didn't know the answer to the question in bold and was going to make 2 suggestions.

But I see you already have done both in your own proposed translation!

I think it is more common to say stone sculptor (and you have piedra) and that you might consider that one who sculpts in any medium is going to be a scultptor so you would probably be safe with sculptor of stone.

And if you are not in a big hurry, someone may have a more useful answer.

updated JUL 18, 2010
posted by LateToDinner
Or you might get an answer while I'm still typing! - LateToDinner, JUL 18, 2010

Desde mi modo de ver:

"escultura de roca" ? "estatua"

updated JUL 18, 2010
posted by JorgeViento
"Escultor"; Jorge. Está preguntando por el artista, no el resultado. :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 18, 2010
SpanishDict is the world's most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and learning website.
© Curiosity Media Inc.