HomeQ&APlease give me examples for some of the exception nouns? Eg:el agua

Please give me examples for some of the exception nouns? Eg:el agua

2

I know there is el agua, la mano, please give me all exceptions examples. How many exactly are there? Thank you.

And is it la carne one of them too?

posted by KaylaMeow

3

What you are describing is not an exception, but a rule. When a feminine noun begins with a stressed 'a' sound, the definite article la becomes el. For more information check out the links below.

spanish.about.com article

older thread on 'el agua'

posted by Jsanthara
Thanx fot the about.com link. It is very interesting. Bien día. - hombredehielo, JUL 17, 2010
Your welcome Hielo. - Jsanthara, JUL 17, 2010
3

I assume that you are referring to exceptions from the pattern that words ending in "o" are masculine and words ending in "a" are feminine. This is not a rule, but just a general pattern with many exceptions. So any word ending in "e" that is feminine (carne) would be an exception to the pattern. There are many words that end in "e" that are both masculine and feminine (el cantante, la cantante depending on sex). Here is an article discussing gender patterns, but they are just patterns with many exceptions. When considering any specific noun it is impossible to predict its gender. You can only say that it is most likely to be a feminine or masculine noun. The only way to know its gender for sure is to look the word up in the dictionary or learn the gender when you learn the noun. Even looking at the article or adjective used with it can be misleading as with el agua.

noun gender patterns

I doubt that anyone knows how many nouns violate the o..masculine, a...feminine pattern as it only an observation and not a "rule" of any kind.

Also keep in mind that el agua, et.al. is not an exception to the pattern. Agua is a feminine noun that ends in "a". Just because it uses the masculine definite article in certain situations does not make it a masculine noun.