HomeQ&AA question of translation..."cultura americana blanca"

A question of translation..."cultura americana blanca"

5

Hola, ¿cómo están todos?

I'm in the proccess of translating a text from a news article, and have been presented with a slightly tough question of meaning. Here is the text:

En primer lugar, el modelo del "melting pot" visualiza a la integración como una fusión de las culturas de los inmigrantes con la cultura americana blanca.

When looking at the words, "cultura americana blanca" would you translate this as: "The culture of white america" or "The white american culture"?

I appreciate any help I can get, it's always important for me to make sure my translations are perfect. =p

edited by --Mariana--
posted by rockdown667
Rock, I used some key words in your title to facilitate future searches. - --Mariana--, JUL 16, 2010
rock, you must accept me on skype, otherwise I cannot add ou to a group!!! - 00494d19, JUL 17, 2010

2

I would say 'white American culture".

I understand that when translating something the translator is responsible for the accuracy of the translation and not the accuracy of what is being translated, though a 'white American culture' is open to debate.

edited by Nathaniel
posted by Nathaniel
Yes, what is that? I've heard of French, Italian, Polish, Irish, Scottish, German, etc. American cultures, but never a white American culture. Is that some neo-Nazi, skinhead culture? or KKK? - 0074b507, JUL 16, 2010
3

Hi,

I would say "white American culture" and I would think of it as the mainstream. As for the melting pot, I like to call it a salad.

Good luck with your translation.

posted by LuisaGomezBartle
salad is a good metaphor Luisa - nizhoni1, JUL 17, 2010
Thanks. - LuisaGomezBartle, JUL 17, 2010
3

I think either would work. The meaning doesn't change much either way. I would say 'the white American culture' as the translation. I understood right away that you didn't write the piece and were merely translating it. Some people just love to get riled up with politically correct rhetoric.

posted by heyho
2

I would pick a different article to translate, as there is no such thing as "white American culture". It is the antithesis of the theory of the melting pot, where all cultures and all people who have come to America contribue their best and the sum total of that makes us the America that we are (or at least aspire to be). The melting pot does not start out with a base of "white" soup in which other cultures are added for flavor. The image of melting conveys the thought that those who come are added to the blend that already exists, and that each one added changes the flavor of the soup because of its presence. In short, don't fill your head with lies......

posted by Echoline
I agree with your melting pot analysis. Many ethinic groups here are "white" looking. - Leeh, JUL 16, 2010
i couldnt disagree more, there is white culture here as much as black, asian, spanish, german and on and on - bill24, JUL 17, 2010
1

Because I feel like the question was lost here, I'll re-phrase how I have it above. I am being asked to translate this article for my job. It isn't my choice, and the fact that the author may be wrong about melting pots is irrelevant. All I was curious about is HOW some of you would translate the text. I do not agree with the author's conclusion either.

posted by rockdown667
I empathize, but the problem is trying to translate the words into something that will be understood. White America, Black America. Asian America are everyday terms readily understood. White American culture may be literally translated, - 0074b507, JUL 17, 2010
but will it be understood if no such thing exists - 0074b507, JUL 17, 2010
0

As a translator, conveying the esscense of the thought is very important. I have heard the "white american culture," described in another way. "la cultura anglosajona." While it is not technically accurate,(the dictionary says Anglo-Saxon), if you were to use that term it would be instantly understood to mean, the white american culture, and or power structure. It is used frequently on latin american talk shows, by politicians etc. Often it is used as a depreciative(insuting adjective).

posted by 002262dd
0

I think "white American culture" is the technically correct translation as far as adjective order goes...key word here is think.

edited by webdunce
posted by webdunce
0

La cultura de las personas quienes tiene el color de piel Blanco.

The calture of white skinned people (which is diffrent than the negros' or the yellows' or the reds' )

edited by JorgeViento
posted by JorgeViento
White skinned people in the USA are usually divided in the ethnicities based on their European roots. Slovak, Romanian, Greek, Italian, etc. There is no ethnic group that represents all Caucasions. - 0074b507, JUL 16, 2010