HomeQ&AWhat is the difference between the two words "medicine"and Mmedicamento "when you are using "medicina"to refer to drugs?

What is the difference between the two words "medicine"and Mmedicamento "when you are using "medicina"to refer to drugs?

2

When you are using "medicine"to refer to drugs, is there a difference between "medicina"and "medicamentos"?

Someone answered "medicine"is for the field of medicine, like in english. I knwo about that one.

The sentence we are translating is in a provider handbook and the sentence is something like '...para ordener sus medicinas O medicamentos, haga x..."

and we can't deicde which to put or if there is a difference

Thanks

posted by mapache724
Good question I gave you a vote too ! - FELIZ77, JUL 15, 2010

1

I agree with nizhoni. I looked at a medical Spanish site and it lists el medicamento as medications (drugs). Could you use the words "las pastillas" (medicine)See comment below on pastillas.. When I googled medicine, I got the same as McFadden.

edited by sanlee
posted by sanlee
Sanlee Las pastillas =pills/tablets which are an example of medicine (drugs) but not a general term for medicine - FELIZ77, JUL 15, 2010
I gave you a vote for the answer medicamentos. - FELIZ77, JUL 15, 2010
Thanks,FE LZ777 can't write your name our without getting the caps warning - sanlee, JUL 15, 2010
Sanlee just write it as Feliz hun okay ? - FELIZ77, JUL 16, 2010
Ok,, Feliz, Will do - sanlee, JUL 16, 2010
1

Would it be like our medicine and medication?

Medicine for general but medication to my mind often refers to a specific kind of medicine given to someone with a specific medical condition.

I take medicine when I'm sick.

He's on medication.

posted by Kiwi-Girl
1

They are the same, but in usage Medicina give us the feeling of medicine possibly on a shelf, whereas Medicamento gives us the feeling of medicine or treatment being used at the moment of the conversation.

posted by 005faa61
1

I have looked them up in the Oxford Spanish Dictionary and they appear to be the same. I think they are being used as synonyms. For 'medicine', it gives 'medicamento, medicina'. For medicamento it gives 'medicine, medicament' and notes that it is formal. And for medicina it gives 'medicine'. And in English, 'medicament' is just another word for 'medicine'. Sounds like a bunch of words for the same thing to me.

edited by MacFadden
posted by MacFadden
1

I would choose medicamentos.

posted by nizhoni1
0

thanks everyone

posted by mapache724
0

thank you

I will let others know

posted by mapache724