HomeQ&ASubway sell a sandwich called "carne mechada". What does mechada mean in this context?

Subway sell a sandwich called "carne mechada". What does mechada mean in this context?

2

posted by genewalker

1

HI Genewalker Welcome to the forum grin

Thank you for providing some background/ context for your question it is amazing how many don't do that !

The only thing that I have come across in my dictionary search that bears any resemblance to your word is:

under the word mecha f verb mechar = to stuff, lard

B (coc) piece of bacon/ham (used for larding or stuffing)

It could be what they mean by implication ie they could be using it to stuff/fill a sandwich

I hope that this might help grin

Perhaps someone else might come up with a better alternative translation if not I suggest that you write down any future words you want translated to ensure that they are spelt correctly

posted by FELIZ77
1

Carne Mechada, from Venezuela, is a slow cooked, flavorful and tender beef entree

I believe that the word Mechada is the name of the sauce, and like many names may not have a direct translation.

The sauce is Mechado but used to describe 'carne' (f), it takes on a feminine ending, Mechada. Mechado is also a very popular Filipino beef stew.

But I have been reminded to tell you that this is only a guess when I am less than 100% sure.

edited by LateToDinner
posted by LateToDinner
Thank You Late Iam sure you are correct I was way out lol Well you learn something new every day lol - FELIZ77, JUL 15, 2010
Well you could put the beef once cooked and cooled down into snadwiches I guess why not? - FELIZ77, JUL 15, 2010
1

Hi, Gene.

I've only heard of "carne asada" (roasted meat)

Edit according to the dictionary it means "shredded meat"

edited by --Mariana--