HomeQ&AIs Spanish one of the major world languages?

Is Spanish one of the major world languages?

1

I'm currently studying French and German at college but I'm thinking about studying an ab initio Spanish course when i go to University. This would more than likely mean dropping either French or German which i have studied for almost 7 years now confused

What i would like to know is what you wonderful people on spanishdict think? smile My wanting to do an ab initio Spanish course is for personal reasons but i was just wondering where Spanish stands in the world, the kind of places i could find a job using Spanish and anything else you could tell me about the benefits of learning Spanish. smile Thanks Cardiff x

posted by Cardiff1985

3

I would agree with Soccor about the widespread popularity of Spanish Spanish is the official language spoken in Spain, nearly all States of South America eg Peru, Chile, Columbia, Argentina and Venezuela all, except Brazil this popular langauge is spoken in Mexico, Honduras, Cuba, Central America eg Panama and in many states of Usa but not as official first language. It seems to be gaining popularity in England and other parts of Europe

I would also encourage you to continue with the french and drop the German as French is more widely spoken around the world then german It is spoken not only in France but in Fench Canada eg Quebec , parts of Africa like Morocco and I think Tunisia and when I visited Athens many years ago many trader spoke French as a second language.

Many people in most European countries both speak and understand French.

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Yes Feliz, and also French is one of the main languages for many world agencies so it is especially useful. - margaretbl, JUL 14, 2010
2

Just look at a linguistic map. Spanish is the primary language spoken in many countries. I, too, studied German, but when you look at the map it is constrained to Germany and Austria (though it's a popular second language in several other European countries, such as Hungary and to some extent in Namibia). I realize it's Bastille Day but French is waning in popularity/use, but maintains its status as a world language. Other world languages you could consider are Chinese, Arabic, and Russian. All are considerably harder than Spanish. At least with Spanish and French you'd have some synergy as both share Latin roots.

posted by DonK
2

Yes, Spanish is the second most spoken world language. It actually has more native speakers than English, but English has a ton more speakers in total.

posted by socceryo3
1
edited by danvallejo
posted by danvallejo