HomeQ&ABien vs. Buen

Bien vs. Buen

2

What is the difference between the word buen and bien? When would I use one or the other? I know that they both mean good, well, or fine.

What are some examples?

edited by lucas322
posted by lucas322

2

Bien-Estar

Buen(o/a)-Ser

edited by rockdown667
posted by rockdown667
5

Bien = well (used with Estar)

whereas, buen = good (Used with Ser) bueno is the full word meaning good

Buen is the shortened masculine form and is placed before some nouns to mean good

For example: ** él es un buen hombre** = he is a good man (Ser)

Estoy muy bien, gracias = I am very well, thank you (Estar)

In response to your question I had actually asked a smiliar question myself about the positioning of adjectives relative to the nouns they are describing

The question is this:

Why do some adjectives precede the nouns in Spanish sentances while others follow it ?

You are welcome to click on my profile as a means to finding out the answer to your question (in the comments section below) as both Dolores Lin and Gfreed both posted excellent responses and Gfreed gave a link to where you can find the info in the Spanish Dict research section.

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
thank you! but when would you put it behind the noun? - lucas322, JUL 14, 2010
0

Hi Lucas for examples - you could say 'un libro bueno' a good book, un vino bueno.

posted by margaretbl
surely it should be: un buen libro rather than un libro bueno ??? - FELIZ77, JUL 14, 2010
That is something people mess up on a lot. The adjective comes after the noun, so it would be "un libro buen" - GlĂșteosMayor, ABR 28, 2015