HomeQ&AIs "Paige" a hard name to say for a native Spanish speaker?

Is "Paige" a hard name to say for a native Spanish speaker?

0

and if so, what would be an easier nickname?

posted by paige2292

1

They usually have a hard time saying a hard English "g/j" because they're used to a softer one. My Spanish teacher's daughter, Courtney, was studying abroad in Spain and my teacher said she said they had a little trouble with her name. The "rtn" part is a little difficult to transition, and so they usually said her name like "Courdney."

posted by socceryo3
1

Hola,

Tell them to pronounce it like "Peish", that might help them pronounce it, but as it was said before, some sounds are just hard to reproduce.

Good luck.

posted by LuisaGomezBartle
1

The "a" would be the part they would mispronounce. I tried teaching a Spanish friend of mine to make the sound, but he only improved a little. When he says "carry", it sounds like "curry".

posted by solidcell
0

They could also find it difficult to pronounce the combined ai vowel sounds together since in Spanish when two vowels are combined a tilde accent is placed on the second vowel to show where the emphasis should be placed, that is: how to pronounce the word.

For example:

he ldo but this is not as clear in the English language.

When I used to work as a teaching assistant in Primary schools with young children I heard a useful guide/tip from Primary teachers to classes of young children

When two vowels are out walking the second does the talking(ie is pronounced) but the word Paige is an exception to the rule I just mentioned as we would say/pronounce the word: pay je and the ay part of the word would be heard but the i would be silent and the j sound would be soft

These diphongs can be vvery tricky for non-native speakers of English

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77