HomeQ&AOut of curiosity, where do you use your Spanish and why did you learn it?

Out of curiosity, where do you use your Spanish and why did you learn it?

8

Personally I'd love to learn more fluent spanish in order to communicate with people (obviously) while participating in mission trips to the central/latin americas. I know plenty of people learn spanish because of the career advantages that it holds, but...

Out of curiosity, why do you strive to learn it?

updated DIC 15, 2011
posted by tysuru
All these answers are pretty cool. - tysuru, JUL 29, 2010

4

I've always like language and grammar, and I think learning other languages is a really fun challenge. Where I live there are a lot of Hispanic people, so Spanish seemed the way to go.

updated DIC 15, 2011
posted by BelugaBebe
*liked - BelugaBebe, DIC 15, 2011
4

I studied 2 years of French in High School. My parents felt it was a total waste of time since we lived in an area that had a lot of Spanish speakers.

Somewhere in my early 30s I realized that Spanish was becoming a very predominate language in my area and it would be beneficial to learn it. I made sort of a deal with myself that by the time I was 40 I would learn Spanish. Well life interferred and that goal didn't happen.

In my current job I have the opportunity to work with Spanish speakers and my boyfriend is a native Spanish speaker. This has encouraged me to pursue my goal once again.

I've taken on a new attitude that each day I need to do something to work toward achieving my goal of becoming fluent in Spanish. So, I listen to a Spanish radio station everytime I'm in the car and I purchased a Spanish, phrase-a-day, calendar. I also downloaded the SpanishDict podcasts to my iPod. I listen/watch them when I'm on the treadmill. Small steps really, but I'm starting to understand more and more. Now I've just got to practice speaking!

updated DIC 15, 2011
posted by PulgaRoja
4

Para proclamar el evangelio a las naciones.

posted by scottdoherty
2

Well, that question doesn't apply in my case, I was born and raised in Mexico, but I can tell you how I learned English, if that's okay.

My elementary school was bilingual and throughout those six years, we had History in English, Science and all that. Now, that certainly helped me learn... BUT...

T.V. raised me, haha. I owe almost all my English knowledge to TV. I loved to imitate how people spoke on TV whether or not I had a clue as to what they were saying. Also, when I was young, I loved to go online and look for penpals, and going to San Diego and try to talk to people. At that time, my family relied on me to translate to my family, so since then I used it on an everyday basis.

My advice? Watch as much TV as you can. :D

posted by MadderSky
2

I'm currently working through a Michel Thomas CD course. I try to follow one method at a time, so I don't too confused. When I finish that, I plan to run through the video lessons here again. I have a childrens book that I find very helpful for nouns, but nothing else.

I have wanted to learn another language for many years, but had no reason to choose one over any other. On holiday in Lanzarote last year, I decided I liked Spanish, and I believe I will be able to learn it, given enough time.

posted by fontanero
2

I like learning languages and getting to know different cultures. More importantly, I want to have friends from different cultures. I live in an area with a large population of Spanish speaking people and cultural influence from Mexico. I would like to be able to relate to my neighbors and friends. Speaking Spanish will allow me to do this. My Hispanic friends are currently the unfortunate victims of my poor pronunciation and grammer.

edited by wansell
posted by wansell
2

There is a lot of Spanish speaking people where I live and there were always conversations going on that I did not understand. I decided I wanted to learn Spanish. My job required a lot of driving so I started listening to instructional tapes and Spanish radio. I also started watching telenovelas and with closed caption was able to translate.

I want to travel to Spanish speaking countries and be comfortable with the language.

posted by spdictpb
What's "closed caption"? - lagartijaverde, JUL 14, 2010
Closed caption is the optional text at the bottom of the television screen with the written dialog. It was originally invented to help people with hearing problems. - KevinB, JUL 14, 2010
We call them subtitles. I use them on dvd's, swapping sound or words for Spanish. - fontanero, JUL 14, 2010
2

I started taking Spanish as a high school freshman in 1973, mainly because I thought Spanish was cool. I studied it for 2.5 years in high school before we were transferred to Venezuela (dad was in the navy). I went to an international school there, but Spanish was required the whole time you were there, for obvious reasons. Being immersed in the culture helped, to say the least.

When I graduated and came back to the States I didn't use it much for many years. Then my wife and I bought a horse ranch in Southern California. Most of the agricultural workers either don't speak English, or don't speak much, plus I never did learn the words used around a horse ranch, so I started studying a little more. Lately I've gotten tired of talking about horse manure and tractor implements, so I've been trying to build my vocabulary in other areas.

I've also studied French, Portuguese, German and Japanese, though I've forgotten most of those. I like languages and learning about other cultures. I've traveled a lot, and it's come in handy.

posted by KevinB
2

I have always desired to learn Spanish to help with my understanding of English. Spanish is a descendant of Latin, and a working knowledge of Spanish is, in a sense, a "living" form of a language that has been instrumental in the development of English. Also, I'd love to be able to communicate with a more diverse set of people.

posted by Jackj0nathan
2

It's weird you ask this now... I was just about to ask the exact same question.

Anyway... There are many reasons why I learn Spanish. The first reason I decided to was to communicate better with my friends who aren't quite fluent in English. I have always been super interested in different ways of life besides my own...; different culture, different language, everything. I wanted to be more involved and understanding than most. Another reason is because of this beautiful, precious little girl who has a heart defect and is painfully shy, yet she does everything she can to learn English and communicate even though she fears people she does not know and is not confident with her language skills. Her whole family are such wonderful people and have accomplished and done so much to obtain what they have... if they can do it, so can I. They are some of the most welcoming and generous and proud people I have ever met. They are my inspiration to learn Spanish. And of course, yes, there are so many other benefits that come along with knowing two languages, job opportunities, etc. smile

edited by SavviVague
posted by SavviVague
1

I use it at home, and I learned it because my Momma taught it to me. cheese

updated SEP 20, 2010
posted by Gekkosan
Now that's motivation! :-) - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 14, 2010
.... or having little alternative, too. ;-) - Gekkosan, JUL 14, 2010
Well...yes, I can see that, too. :-) - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 14, 2010
No, not crazy, Loco........ - SMiles0812, SEP 20, 2010
1

I learn Spanish because I love Enrique Iglesias the singer my life and my love wink,I learned English for him and now I am learning Spanish also for him raspberry. I am crazy right ???!!!

edited by 00b6f46c
posted by 00b6f46c
jajaja great reason :D - Cardiff1985, JUL 14, 2010
0

I don't know the reason. No one here speak spanish. We already have tons of languages. wink

I dont even remember how it got started. May be because of Shakira's songs. Since there is nothiing to lose, i continued learning. Only after I started learning, i got an idea of visiting Mexico and some South american countries. And now i have a purpose smile

posted by Vaanz
0

It was almost a have to kinda of thing for me, I have about 70 women that work for me and only 5 or 6 speak english. managing this many people in english is hard enough. Once I started learning , I found out my interprenter wasn't translating the words I ask for, she was basicly telling these ladies what she wanted them to do. And now , my spanish is still poor, but I'm soon to be engaged to the most remarkable Mexican senorita... wish me luck

posted by Mr-Barry
0

para escribir canciones y una luz en mi vida -JD

posted by Jon-Dunn