HomeQ&AWhat is the sound of the double L, as in llamo, llevendar and anillo?

What is the sound of the double L, as in llamo, llevendar and anillo?

1

I am confused by the sound of the ll. It kind of sounds like an English y. I've tried to hear it from the word pronunciation button, but I can hear it. Any hints?

posted by zhawnamama
Thanks for asking this question. In my country, Canada, they pronounce it like an L. - Brynleigh, JUL 13, 2010

1

Also, in some dialects, the "ll" can make a soft "j" sound. This mostly occurs in Southamerican countries like Chile and Argentina. I could be wrong about the exact countries but I know it's some of em. =p

posted by rockdown667
1

After this question has been asked a few times already, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the pronunciation of Spain. Allá se dice La elye .............la ll.

posted by 005faa61
1

Yes, you hear it well, it's like an English y smile

posted by kamiyayoriko
1

This depends on what country you are in... In most countries it is prounounced like a "y" so this is your best guess, but in some countries, like Costa Rica (where my mom learned her Spanish) it is pronounced "jze" or like a soft "j" or...well..it's a hard sound to describe... I think it is usually pronounced the same as the way the "y" is pronounced in whatever particular country you are in.

posted by Senoritasarita