HomeQ&AHow do you say "if only" as in " if only I had done...." and does it take the subjunctive?

How do you say "if only" as in " if only I had done...." and does it take the subjunctive?

0

"If only" meaning I didn't do something but wish I had. e.g. If only I had helped, then he would have had more free time.

"if only" translating to "I wish"

posted by irishlass

0

Example: If only I had gone. If only I had thought. Si solo hubiera ido. Si solo hubiera pensado.

Si solo lo hubiera ayudado, habría tenido él más tiempo.

Now, wait for someone with more experience than I. wink

edited by Delores--Lindsey
posted by Delores--Lindsey
0

Thanks, but is "espero" not more like "I hope" rather than "I wish"? Could you say it like this? "¡Qué yo le hubiera ayudado, habría tenido más tiempo libre!" Something in the back of my mind is telling me there's a set way of saying it but I can't remember what it is.

posted by irishlass
My mind is blank on that one. :-( Sorry. - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 13, 2010
0

Yes, you could use the subjunctive.

"Espero que mi ayuda le había ayudado a tener más tiempo libre."

I could be wrong, but that is off the top of my head. Feel free to correct me please.

edited by rockdown667
posted by rockdown667