HomeQ&Aif i pronounce llama me ( call me ) the double LL like (G)

if i pronounce llama me ( call me ) the double LL like (G)

1

i want to ask if i pronounce llama me ( call me ) the double LL like (G)

if i want to say onion (cebolla) is it pronounce the double LL like (g) ....

how can i know when i pronounce it ll and g ?

is there any rule for it

posted by RuZa
llámame....it's one word - --Mariana--, JUL 13, 2010

1

I tried to find the last thread in which I provided a detailed answer (in order to spare myself some typing) but I couldn't (probably because the title was not really suggestive of the question being asked). At any rate:

There are 5 different ways to pronounce "ll", depending on the region of the Spanish speaking world. The suggestions of "similar" sounds in English are approximations (the best that English has to offer).

1) like the "lli" in "million"
2) like the "y" in "yo-yo"
3) like the "j" in "java" or "judge"
4) like the "sh" in "shoe"
5) like the 2nd 'g' in "garage"

Note: #5 assumes that when pronouncing "garage" you preserve the sound that is used in French. If you think that the sound in #5 is the same as the sound in #3, then there is probably no similar sound in English (that occurs to me, at any rate).

Edit: for #5 you can also think of the 's' in "pleasure".

edited by samdie
posted by samdie
1

Always like "?" ?r "?" like in greek (sic) language. ALWAYS using your throat.

No!!! The question is about the pronunciation of "ll" (not "g"). The "g" (if and, only if, followed by 'e'/'i') is in the throat but only for some regions. For an animated diagram of the articulation of "ll" try phonetics. Select Spanish and then "Laterales"and, finally the "upside-down 'y'" (for the animation and several recorded examples Note: the recorded pronunciations are for Spain [and not even all of that]).

posted by samdie
Yes we all know people that say 'jama-meh' or 'ceb-boy-sjah' but honestly when you are learning from scratch it's nice to be aware that there are differences but I sure wouldn't worry about them too much. - margaretbl, JUL 13, 2010
0

Hi RuZa - if you use the translation page you can click on the little 'icon' and you will hear the word pronouned. It is a handy tool.

posted by margaretbl
0

Siempre come "?" ? "?" como en la lengua griega. SIEMPRE usando la garganta.

Always like "?" ?r "?" like in greek language. ALWAYS using your throat.

posted by JorgeViento
0

In most of Latin America it's pronounced like a "y."

I'm not sure where you got the "g" from.

yes it like Y ,,, but i dont know when it says like that - RuZa, JUL 13, 2010