HomeQ&AEspero que eso no es su propia opinión de la vida

Espero que eso no es su propia opinión de la vida

2

Hi guys smile So, I want to say something along the lines of: I hope that that is not the way you view life.

I was wondering if the "hoping" would warrant the subjunctive? This is my best guess, anyway, trying to say something with a similar idea behind the sentence. I know this is not word for word.

Espero que eso no es su propia opinión de la vida.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

*edited to make the question an actual question! Sorry, I know the rules xD

edited by --Mariana--
posted by megan5
Thanks Marianne :) - megan5, JUL 12, 2010

3

Remember that the indicative is used if you wish to inform us (say, how they view life) and the subjunctive is used to express your state of being or reaction to that fact.

In your sentence you are not informing us about their view on life, but stating something about your state of being (being hopeful) concerning their viewpoint on life.

see Sheily's excellent explanation of esperar and both moods here

thanks, gfreed, for reminding me... :) So would it be something like "Espero que eso no sea su opinión de la vida"? I hope that that is not your opinion of life. ? - megan5, JUL 12, 2010
People always approach this backwards. They create the sentence then try to figure out which mood it takes. You should decide which mood you are trying to express then dicide how to say it in a sentence (which verb shows your mood). See the link above - 0074b507, JUL 12, 2010
You as the author of the sentence must tell us whether you are declaring or sharing your feelings about something. You do that by using the verb in the right mood. - 0074b507, JUL 12, 2010
Oh, ok. I think I am starting to understand now... I wish Spanish was my first language xD This would be so much easier to grasp. - megan5, JUL 12, 2010
Amen to that. - 0074b507, JUL 12, 2010
0

Espero que esta no es la manera que veas la vida .

posted by kand2