HomeQ&APlease add floccinaucinihilipilication to your translation. It means to habitually estimate that something or someone is worthly.

Please add floccinaucinihilipilication to your translation. It means to habitually estimate that something or someone is worthly.

0

posted by Jnel
Is 'worthly' another new word for the dictionary too? lol - I think you mean 'worthless' - very interesting word though. Welcome to the forum! - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 9, 2010

1

What about adding as a phrase? smile

And if anyone is interested in where it came from - this from Wiki"

A jocular coinage, apparently by students at Eton, combining a number of roughly synonymous Latin stems. Latin flocci, from floccus, a wisp or piece of wool + nauci, from naucum, a trifle + nihili, from the Latin pronoun, nihil (“nothing”) + pili, from pilus, a hair, something insignificant (all therefore having the sense of "pettiness" or "nothing") + -fication. "Flocci non facio" was a Latin expression of indifference, literally "I do not make a straw of...".

And this is the meaning:

the act or habit of describing or regarding something as unimportant.

edited by Kiwi-Girl
posted by Kiwi-Girl
0

I will see about notifying my buddies who floccinaucinihilipilificate at Webster's to see if they'd kindly accommodate your request.

I am glad you caught the glaring omission. I'm sure I don't know what would become of this site if the teeming masses are unable to find the required definitions and translations for such critical words as this!

edited by Gekkosan
posted by Gekkosan
0

Hello, and welcome to the forum. It's an excellent word, but I believe it's floccinaucinihilipilification, not floccinaucinihilipilication. Regardless, though I would like to have it in the dictionary, I'm afraid no one here is able to do that. The dictionary we access for free here is, I think, the Webster's New World Concise Spanish Dictionary, which is published by Chambers Harrap. We cannot change it or what appears in it. I'm sure you could wrangle up some support (what with it being such a fun word), though, and write a letter to Chambers Harrap asking them to include it one of their larger dictionaries. Because it's relatively uncommon, though, you may not have much luck lobbying for its inclusion in the 'concise' dictionary.

posted by MacFadden
0

How do you pronounce this?

Cool word cool smile cool smirk

posted by Gocika