HomeQ&AI want to learn how to conjugate verbs into the past tense. Any ideas or tricks to go about learning how to?

I want to learn how to conjugate verbs into the past tense. Any ideas or tricks to go about learning how to?

4

I'm trying to learn spanish. I have taken several classes between high school and one in college. I will be taking another class this fall. The last class I took they didn't really go over past tense because it was more of a beginners class. I know how to conjugate most verbs, but don't know the rules or how to go about saying them in past tense. Do you have any examples or tricks to help me remember how to conjugate verbs in the past tense? Thank you. -Amanda

posted by adepew

2

Conjugating verbs is one of the most important and nuanced parts of a language. Several past tenses exist. Most often the preterite and the past perfect are used (for example "I went" vs "I have gone"), but there are others, too. My recommendations would be: Picking up a good reference (such as 501 Spanish Verbs) lays out the various tenses pretty well. There is also a workbook by Dorothy Richmond (actually a series by the same name) called Practice Makes Perfect - Spanish verbs. I've also used another website called Conjuguemos.com for verb drills.

posted by DonK
I just signed up at conjuguemos.com. I think this will help with my studying. Gracias kwetmore! - Jsanthara, JUL 9, 2010
I agree I use 501 Spanish verbs by Christopher Kendris almost every day it is an invaluable aid - FELIZ77, JUL 9, 2010
2

Amanda, welcome to the forum!

You will find lots of resources here to help you with the past tense and any other questions that you may have regarding the Spanish language.

For the past tenses, both the preterite and the imperfect, I suggest that you start with the reference articles on the preterite and imperfect. You can find them both under the link "more" at the top of each SD page under the topic of reference, then Spanish Verbs.

Here are links to each reference article:

preterite tense

imperfect tense

I hope that this helps!

edited by Pajaro44
posted by Pajaro44
That's good to know; I'm still finding my way around the site too. - DonK, JUL 9, 2010
1

i agree with patch, i have the Michale Thomas cd's and they are all he described, slow and sometimes challenging but worth your time. good luck and welcome !

posted by bill24
1

Hello Amanda - welcome to the forum. I can only recommend you what has worked for me. Michel Thomas advanced Spanish - something like 8 cd's and about 8 hours. That doesn't mean that you'll complete it in 8 hours though - this is covers a looooot of Spanish grammar.I'm going to be honest with you ..... it is difficult, at times boring, slow and infuriating but it definately taught me. (It teaches you a lot of "tricks" as well.)

I hope you get some other recommendations because this style might not work for you. Don't forget that you can always ask about any specific problems you find - we have some really smart people here.

Keep us posted, okay?

Saludos

posted by patch