HomeQ&AWhen viewing the points section of my profile, I notice a "percentile" and I'd like to know what it means.

When viewing the points section of my profile, I notice a "percentile" and I'd like to know what it means.

2

A question should end with a question mark, whether it's in Spanish or English, but I suppose you can tell what it is that I want to know. I've been wondering about the percentile that shows up on the points section of my profile and trying to figure out what it represents. Thank you very much.

I suppose I should introduce myself while I'm at it. So hola SpanishDict! Me llamo es Scott. Tengo dieciocho anos y vivo in Nueva York.

posted by 007eccce
Me llamo Scott, not me llamo es Scott. welcome to the forum. - kenwilliams, JUL 8, 2010
Haha, that was a careless mistake. Thanks for correcting it. - 007eccce, JUL 8, 2010

0

Percentile tells you the percentage of the members who scored below your score in that category. I have seen that number go as high as 100th percentile though. If I still remember my Statistics correctly, percentile values cannot go higher than 99 because if we follow the definition, 100th percentile would mean that 100% got a score lower than yours and 100% would, of course, include you. So that won't make sense.

posted by Rikko
That may be how percentile normally works but not here ... checking mine you'll see. - LateToDinner, JUL 9, 2010
I just checked your %iles and saw 99, 100, and 99. The two 99s make sense. The 100 means all the scores, including yours, are lower than yours. :) - Rikko, JUL 9, 2010
The number shown is probably rounded off. If you are above 99.5 percentile, you'll see 100. - pesta, ENE 29, 2012
0

Don't strain anything working on this ... I think it is like the "Joined" date, whatever the computer feels like dishing out today. Just kidding. The problem is the massive number that you are being compared to.

I think member # 283,137 has just signed up for SD. Since they started counting, over 283,000 members. You can quit participating, but I don't think that removes you from the statistics.

If you have ONE badge you will be at the 50 percentile because of how many people are included in the calculation that don't have any.

Three moves you up to 89. So you are in the 89 percentile, the group that is higher that 88% of the whole.

By the time you have 5 badges you will be at the 96 percentile because of how many enrolled that have not (and probably never will! - for the most part) achieve their 5th badge.

Quentin has seen a few people come and go! When he joined he was 14,913 (Paralee 7000 ish) but Scott 268,996. All any of those that popped in, asked to have their homework done for them and popped back out with 0 0 0 or 10 1 0 make the rest of us look pretty good - on paper .

edited by LateToDinner
posted by LateToDinner
I think that you are correct. It's meaningless. - 0074b507, JUL 9, 2010
Additional research just might be getting us 'explanation" but it will still be meaningless due to the volume. - LateToDinner, JUL 9, 2010
That took me a while to build, but I'm done. That's my best guess! - LateToDinner, JUL 9, 2010
Percentiles are actually intended for handling large volumes of numbers in order to give meaning to them. - Rikko, JUL 9, 2010
0

I'm fairly new to this site also, but I assumed the percentile had to do with the number of people who are higher "in the ranks" (i.e. badges, points, reputation, etc.) So, mine says 97%...I assume that means I have more points, badges, reputation, than 3 percent of the people in the SpanishDict community. But I could be wrong.

¡Bienvenidos!

posted by JimBeadle
Thank you. I think you're right. I have a feeling that it might work that way, but I'm not completely sure. - 007eccce, JUL 8, 2010
No, not it! - LateToDinner, JUL 9, 2010
Number of people who are lower "in the ranks", not higher, 97% of he people in SD have scores lower than yours.. - Rikko, JUL 9, 2010
0

Like most here, I can't answer you. I can tell you, however, that When viewing the points section of my profile, I notice a "percentile" and I'd like to know what it means. is not a question, but a statement.

¡Saludos!

posted by 005faa61
I think he knows that and that his explanation was because he had put a "statement" in the "question" field. - LateToDinner, JUL 9, 2010
0

I just checked mine and points, badges, reputation all say 100%, but I know there are people with higher scores than me. Does it keep track of the % that you are allowed to earn in one day: 200 out of 200 pts. etc.?

0

Welcome to the forum.. Here is an answer to your question from the past questioners.link text (See link text)

edited by sanlee
posted by sanlee
0

If you see a badge or reputation break-down, the percentile is based on that information. If you got six badges in one week, 24 in the month, and 47 since you started, you would have a pretty high percentile (95-99). The last time I saw mine it was 99%. ¡Bienvenido a Spanishdict!

posted by spanflyer