HomeQ&ALa cuestión y la pregunta ¿Cuál es la diferencia?

La cuestión y la pregunta ¿Cuál es la diferencia?

2

What is the difference between la cuestión y la pregunta?

Seems to me that la cuestión is a cognate and pregunta the true blue palabra for question. Can anybody shed some light or should I just flip a coin?

edited by 00813f2a
posted by aprender100

3

You ask preguntas but you do no ask cuestiones; never say "¿Puedo preguntar una cuestión? nor ¿Puedo hacer una cuestión?"

Cuestión is a cognate for question when it is synonymous with "matter" or "issue."

Es una cuestión de fe - It's a question of faith.

El quid de la cuestión - The crux of the issue

edited by 003487d6
Not quite that simple. (=pregunta) question el examen se compone de tres cuestiones the exam is made up of three questions . prequnta y cuestión can be synonymns for inquiry. It's not that they always have different meaning, but they have come to - 0074b507, JUL 7, 2010
be used in certain contexts by convention. Look in the RAE under cuestionar. - 0074b507, JUL 7, 2010
Thanks Q. I still stick to what I have said because I have seen it in modern books, TV, articles etc. - 003487d6, JUL 7, 2010
I know he is not asking about the verb but I will add that I read "¿Estás cuestionando mi cordura?" in book once. (Are you questioning my sanity?) - 003487d6, JUL 7, 2010
I think Dandi was quite clear. Just think "question" as a sentence between ¿? question marks and "cuestiones" as issues or matter. It's safer that way :)) - Benz, JUL 7, 2010
This is the way I see it used in newspapers, though I'd never accuse a journalism major of being a grammar expert. - KevinB, JUL 7, 2010
Which would you use for the police questioned a suspect? Then I'll show you how I've seen cuestionar used in that context. - 0074b507, JUL 8, 2010
That's usually said: "La policía interrogó al sospechoso". If you say "La policía cuestionó al sospechoso" the meaning is different :) - Benz, JUL 8, 2010
1

La cuestion is like the issue up for discussion. La pregunta es the question.

I can say "¿Puedo hacer una pregunta?" - Can I ask a question?

I can say, "el juez estaba hacer examen del cuestion" - The judge was to review the question.

I hope I got it. I am learning a lot.

posted by aprender100
The first sentence is ok. The second should be "El juez iba a evaluar la cuestión" :) - Benz, JUL 8, 2010
Wow. I never would of thought of using "ir" to make the sentence, but Google translates it better. - aprender100, JUL 9, 2010