HomeQ&ASong of the week 13: Por una cabeza

Song of the week 13: Por una cabeza

3

Hola a todos! This is a weekly thread to share music in Spanish.

• Watch a video, read the lyrics and let the discussion flow. Tell us your opinion about the song, the singer or a group, or about what are they singing about. Below the link are the lyrics where you can find some keywords.

• Post your answers in both English and Spanish (first the language that
    you're learning).

• The best answer will be chosen by the number of votes and corrections.

This week it's an old and I guess very known song (the film too) - Por una cabeza by Carlos Gardel.

Here you can find the video: link text

Letra:

Por una cabeza de un noble potrillo que justo en la raya afloja al llegar, y que al regresar parece decir: No olvidéis, hermano, vos sabés, no hay que jugar.

Por una cabeza, metejón de un día de aquella coqueta y risueña mujer, que al jurar sonriendo el amor que está mintiendo, quema en una hoguera todo mi querer. Por una cabeza, todas las locuras. Su boca que besa, borra la tristeza, calma la amargura. Por una cabeza, si ella me olvida qué importa perderme mil veces la vida, para qué vivir.

Cuántos desengaños, por una cabeza. Yo jugué mil veces, no vuelvo a insistir. Pero si un mirar me hiere al pasar, sus labios de fuego otra vez quiero besar. Basta de carreras, se acabó la timba. ¡Un final reñido ya no vuelvo a ver! Pero si algún pingo llega a ser fija el domingo, yo me juego entero. ¡Qué le voy a hacer..!

posted by swing
This was my first song I tried to listen in Spanish. As I knew just few words, I really doubted it was in Spanish and not Portugese, jeje - swing, JUL 7, 2010

2

Hola Swing,

I don't mind that it is an old familiar, song because it is neither for me. wink I have never heard of this song before and found it to be hauntingly beautiful.

I love the phrase "por una cabeza" which I guess to English translates "by a head" or "photo finish". Just that entire concept is interesting and frustrating at the same time. To be so close to success, winning, having it all....this is a very frustrating position to be in.

Thank you for sharing and for all of the work that goes into these music threads. :)

posted by Nicole-B
1

Swing! I am glad that you posted a song I could relate to. I love old songs and I am truly challenged when it comes to appreciating modern music. gulp Aside from "Shindler's List" and "Scent of a Woman", this was also used in the ending scene of Arnold Schwarzenneger's film "True Lies", and I think in a few other movies. This is really beautiful especially when played by an orchestra.

I heard it for the first time in Scent of a Woman and to me that tango scene became much more memorable because of this.

I am happy to know that you know this music.

posted by Rikko