HomeQ&AHave you tried using children's websites in Spanish to learn?

Have you tried using children's websites in Spanish to learn?

5

I'm trying to find multiple resources to learn and was wondering if this has worked for anyone. Any sites in particular? Also, what about children's books, or any other ideas for basic vocab and grammar? Success? ¡Muchas gracias por todos!

posted by sedulus

1

I found it a good start to watch programmes for children on rtve, started with Postman Pat and Spongebob, then went on to Código Lyoko. I'm sure they were a useful lead into the soap I have been watching for about 6 weeks now. (Amar en Tiempos Revueltos) smile

posted by galsally
6

I've read all of the stories that are in Spanish on sites like Cuentos para chicos and Cuentos para Niños , Cody's cuentos, etc. I don't know how much grammar that I have learned from them, but they are great for vocabulary. Of course, I never outgrew children's bedtime stories. I loved reading them to my children, and now to my grandchild. My only problem is that none of them knew Spanish so I had to stick with English texts. Sigh, I have a new grandson coming in a few months. Maybe I can read Spanish to him until he's old enough to understand words and then I'll have to bow to the wishes of his parents.

Lately, Ive been hanging around AlbaLearning.com. It has classical stories like Han Christian Anderson's as well as longer stories. (These are audiobooks as well) if you want to listen as well as read.

I've always liked comic books, (graphic novels nowadays), so it doesn't embarrass me to look at a children's picture book to see if it has any new vocabulary. I've been found in the children's section of our library reading Clifford, the Big Red Dog, in Spanish. What I have outgrown are those little chairs. Ouch.

¡Bienvenido al foro!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome and the terrific suggestions! - sedulus, JUL 7, 2010
2

I've read: Are You My Mother? by PD.Eastman, in Spanish. Its pretty good for beginners.

posted by Snowleopard
2

I recently discovered www.spanishtown.ca

They have quite a good selection of pdf worksheets and quizzes etc.

You can start with basic words, nouns etc, and move on from there.

It has "grade" 1 to 4, I don't know if that matches the American school system, or if its just their own way.

I found it very useful, and I haven't been a child for a long time !

posted by fontanero
Cool site, thanks for sharing. I like it a lot already. - sedulus, JUL 7, 2010
2

I have a very old 1975 Spanish book called "Asterix " El caldero , it is only tiny ,I am trying to work my way through it without cheating , it is a very funny story and quite complicated ,Por ejempio, 'El jefe abracuureix se hace cargo del caldero lleno de sestercios y prometer guardarlo hasta que haya pasado el recaudador romano. cool grin

posted by ray76
I haven't seen an Asterix book since 1975. Hows Obelix doing? - fontanero, JUL 7, 2010
Still carrying his big "rock" I have not worked it all out yet but i love , it is still in mint condition. - ray76, JUL 7, 2010
1

Cartoons are great but still my favorite thing to watch in Spanish is: Los Tres Chiflados. The Three Stooges. They sound so funny in Spanish.

posted by Snowleopard
I'll take a look! I was looking up the word chifla only yesterday! :) - galsally, JUL 8, 2010
You can find tons of them on youtube - Snowleopard, JUL 8, 2010
1

Someone told me to look for children´s school books in the shops, aged 10 years. That apparently is when they start learning the Subjunctive mood. Should be helpful in simple terms. I have´nt had time to search yet but when I do I will post any titles I find.

posted by caza
May I have one pre subjunctive please miss??? - ray76, JUL 7, 2010
Si Señor - when you come to visit me! - caza, JUL 7, 2010
0

Great idea!

posted by Snowleopard