HomeQ&AAre the words "y" and "a" ever combined to make the word "ya"?

Are the words "y" and "a" ever combined to make the word "ya"?

3

For some reason I remember being taught the Pledge of Allegiance in the Spanish language in the seventh grade. The line "and to the republic for which it stands" was "ya la república que representa"

Now I know it is " y a la república"

Am I remembering wrong?

edited by sunshinzmommie
posted by sunshinzmommie
typos occaur in any language :-) - 0074b507, JUL 6, 2010
repĂșblica - 0074b507, JUL 6, 2010
two words, y and a - 00813f2a, JUL 6, 2010

2
  • Juro fidelidad a la bandera
I was just wondering if this was ever different..... :) Thanks and hope you are having a wonderful night/day :) - sunshinzmommie, JUL 6, 2010
1

y is and a is to ya is a different word meaning already.

posted by coolclay
1

Hi Sunshine!

Like you and Q have already mentioned, I learned it as " y a la república...". But speaking of strange rememberances, I remember learning it using the quote "....al amparo de Dios...." (with the help of/under the protection of God...) instead of "....bajo Dios..." (under God, as it's said in English).

I can't remember the website (wish I could) where I printed it from, but now that I've already memorized it, whenever I see it printed (as in Q's post) I wonder if "..bajo Dios..." is more commonly used.

Another one of those things that make you go......hmmm. alt text

Thanks for the thread! smile

posted by Dee914
1

Hola,

I've never seen the pledge in Spanish, but it could be "ya". In this sense it would mean then. First pledging to the flag, then the republic - ya la república. cool smile

posted by canicos