HomeQ&APensamientos - Thoughts (61):.... esos sublimes momentos de guerra en los que los hombres dan lo mejor de sí mismos.

Pensamientos - Thoughts (61):.... esos sublimes momentos de guerra en los que los hombres dan lo mejor de sí mismos.

5

The sentences I am going to post are by my one and only José Luis Alvitekiss, as sarcastic and ironic as usualwink Instead of posting this as a killer thread, I thought I might post one sentence every other day or so.

I would like you to post the translation and your opinion about the sentence. I will correct the translation, and if you post an opinion in Spanish correct major grammar mistakes. You can post in English, but let's get a lot of opinions on these controversial sentences. wink

Please read this message from Alvite himself to all students.

And remember:

Alvite is sarcastic, always pessimistic, nothing is what it looks likeraspberry

Here goes number 61.

Let's see what you make of this. He is talking about moments of war and peace...talking to a young man about the Second World War.

Don't miss this thread!I am posting the chosen answers on Facebook, on Alvite's wall!

A ese muchacho le gusta que le hable de la II Guerra Mundial y de aquellos líderes entusiastas y abrigados que tomaban sus decisiones en circunstancias extremas pero sin perder jamás la compostura. Sabe que mi idea de la paz es que se trata de algo que sólo sirve para ensombrecer esos sublimes momentos de guerra en los que los hombres dan lo mejor de sí mismos.

1

That boy enjoys that I talk to him about the second World War and those enthusiastic leaders and lawyers who made their decisions in extreme circumstances without ever losing their composure. He knows that my idea of peace is that some attempt is made at it, which only serves to overshadow those sublime moments of war in which men give all they've got.

La verdad es que hay muchas opiniones sobre la guerra, y muchas tienen valor. En la mayoria de los casos, se puede abogar por la paz por encima de todo. Pero en el caso de II Guerra Mundial, la verdad es que: La guerra puede resolver algunas cosas.

The truth is that there are many opinions about war, and many of them have merit. In most cases one can argue for peace above all else. But in the case of World War II, it is true to say: War can solve some things.

edited by 00494d19
posted by Goyo
translation beginning excelente....pero muchas faltas, novio, presta mas atencion!! - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010
2

That young man likes to talk about---sorry, wrong translation!!------ World War II and of those enthusiastic and warm leaders who made their decisions under extreme circumstances without ever losing their composure. You know that my idea of peace is that it is something that only serves to overshadow those sublime moments of war in which men give the best of themselves.

Creo que al fin los hombres necesitan buscar algo aparte de la guerra en que puedan dar lo mejor de sí mismos. Esto no quiere decir que no aprecie los sacrificios tremendos que han estado hecho -- tantos hombres y mujeres. Busco lo ideal.

I believe that after all is said and done men need to find something other than war in which they can give the best of themselves. This does not mean that I do not appreciate the tremendous sacrifices that have been made by so many men and women, including their lives. I long for the ideal.

blank stare

edited by 00494d19
posted by Delores--Lindsey
you gto that wrong, delo, thanks for the support , you know what I mean:-) - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010
Heidita, de nada. :-) - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 9, 2010
2

The boy likes to talk of the World War II and of those enthusiastic, sheltered leaders that made their decisions in extreme circumstances, but without ever losing their composure. He knows that my idea of the peace is that it is a matter of something that only serves to overshadow those sublime moments of war in which the men give the best of themselves.

Yes, the war has moments that make the best of people and also the worst. Boys talk about serving with stars in their eyes until the terrible times occur. I can only honor them and offer my prayers that the day would come when the full light of peace has overshadowed the horrors of war.

Sí, la guerra tiene momentos que sacan lo mejor de la gente y también lo peor. Los muchachos hablan de servir con estrellas en los ojos hasta que ocurre lo peor. Sólo puedo honrarles y ofrecerles mis oraciones para ese día que vendrá cuando la luz llena de paz haya hecho sombra a los horrores de la guerra.

edited by 00494d19
posted by sanlee
good comment, but incorrect translation - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010
1

That boy likes to talk about the Second World War and all that enthusiastic and sheltered liders who made their decisions in an extreme circumstances without ever losing the composure. He knows that my idea of peace is that it only serves to overshadow those sublime moments of war in which men give the best of themselves.

Mi comentario:

Siempre me preguntaba qué piensan y cómo pueden dormir los hombres cuyas decisiones -- afectan a toda la humanidad...especialmente en una guerra, pero no sólo entonces. Algunos errores cuestan muchas vidas inocentes...

I've always asked myself what do people who make decisions which affect the whole humanity think, and how can they sleep...especially in war, but not only then. Some mistakes can take many innocent lives...

edited by 00494d19
posted by luz_72
nice luz, but wrong translation - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010
1

That boy would like me to talk about World War II and those ethusatic and sheltered leaders who made desicion in extreme circumstances without ever losing their composure He knows my idea of peace deals with something that serve to overshadow those sublime moment of war in which men gave the best of themselves.

Obviamente está en contra de la guerra o este guerra en particular pero reconoce los sarificios de las personas que sivieron. Obviously he is against war or this war in particular but he recongizes the sarifices of the people who served.

edited by 00494d19
posted by BellaMargarita
likes to hear me talk...now would like me to... - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010
0

This was difficult, so much so, that only goyo got close to the translation.

The young man likes to hear H I M talk about the war... and he knows, not knew, why did most of you change the tense?

Estoy esperando el siguiente - ¡Ojalá que vaya mejor! - galsally, JUL 10, 2010
0

This young guy likes to talk about World War II and of those enthusiastic and sheltered (?) leaders who took decisions in extreme circumstances without ever losing their composure. Know that (is this imperative or 3rd person sing?) my idea of peace is that it's something which only serves to overshadow those sublime moments of war when men give the best of themselves.

Perdóname, pero no entiendo el sentido de verdad. :(

Sorry, but I truly don't understand the meaning.

Personally, I only hope for peace, that no more babies will grow up to fight and die, or be killed as innocents. I appreciate and am in awe of the incredible sacrifices many have made (men and women) during war, but I hate the whole business.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Un ojo por un ojo hace que todo el mundo esté ciego.

edited by 00494d19
posted by galsally
wrong translation - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010
0

That boy likes to talk about World War II and those enthusiastic and sheltered leaders who made their decisions in extreme circumstances but without ever losing their composure. He knew my idea of peace is that it is something that only serves to overshadow those sublime moments of war in which men give the best of themselves.

La guerra saca lo mejor en algunas personas y lo peor en otras. La guerra no es una buena cosa, pero como todo lo demás, tiene aspectos positivos.

War does bring out the best in some people and the worst in others. War is not a good thing, but like everything else, it does have positives.

edited by 00494d19
posted by --Jen--
buen comentario, pero tradccion con faltas... - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010
0

That boy likes to talk about World War II and those enthusiastic and protected leaders who made their decisions in extreme circumstances but never losing their composure. He knew my idea of peace is that it is something that only serves to obscure those sublime moments of war in which men give the best of themselves.

In my opinion there are times when war is the best of the options. In such times the men involved can only do their best in whatever the situation they find themselves in. World War 2 was a time like that.

En mi opinión hay momentos en que la guerra es la mejor de las opciones. En esos momentos los hombres -- sólo pueden hacer lo mejor en cualquier situación en que se encuentran. La II Guerra Mundial fue una de esas

edited by 00494d19
posted by ian-hill
mucha faltas en la traduccion ian, - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010