HomeQ&ASaturday skype chat beginners, 12 AM Spain: Prepare questions and follow the rules given below.

Saturday skype chat beginners, 12 AM Spain: Prepare questions and follow the rules given below.

9

As you will see there are some people who do some thinking, our Jenny is one of themwink

Those who were there know that it was extremely difficult for me to get you make a sentence, some simply refused (dillon, yes, I am talking about you!! rolleyes ) So let's try what Jenny has come up with, I am going to copy it so you can see for yourself.

I've been thinking about next Saturday night and your insistence that we speak in full sentences, and I remembered a game called "Yes, No, Hesitation". The rules are that you can't say yes, no or hesitate - you also can't use the same answer more than twice in a row. So, if anyone just answered "Sí" or "no" they'd lose the game. It's surprisingly difficult - even in English - and I'm not sure that it would even be possible in Spanish unless we tweaked the rules a bit because some questions have to be answered with the word "no" - "Tienes hermanos?" "No, no tengo hermanos"... unless there's an alternate way of saying "I don't have any siblings"? - in any case, we could change the rule so in those circumstances, the "no" has to be followed up immediately by a sentence.

It is true, it is very difficult to answer a sentence without using yes or no....but we will have to try , won't we? wink

Alternatives for no:

Lo siento , solo

Nainai,

bahhh,

pero qué dices...,

bueno.....,

esto es falso,

esto es incierto,

esto es incorrecto...

You will have to wiggle your way out of itwink

Look for alternatives for yes in the extra post

In any case it is not so difficult to answer questions without yes or no if formulated with question words, please do the set again.

Rules:

I will ask a question or two and you cannot answer with yes or no. Then *you* will ask two questions to one of the members on the chat. Please prepare the questions!! Most of you went the other day: oh, I don't know what to say...what to ask, hey, what should I ask...so please, prepare some questions so we will all benefit from the chat and learn something new

The last half hour or twenty minutes will be dedicated to the Spanish speakers who are learning English, so please ask some questions or simply get the member to talkwink

edited by 00494d19
Esepcially the newbies, you M U S T know the question words well. - 00494d19, JUL 6, 2010
Ian...do you actually speak English??? It is definitely am, not pm. - 00494d19, JUL 6, 2010

6

Pretend that you are a politician or a lawyer. They don't know how to formulate a simple yes or no answer.

Are you in quentin? You could try...;) - 00494d19, JUL 6, 2010
Perfect suggestion, Q. - --Mariana--, JUL 6, 2010
That's Good! - Rolest, JUL 6, 2010
4

Thank you Quentin! alt text

posted by LateToDinner
2

Hmmmm.... ehhhh.... hmmmmm... thinking..... re-thinking..... I need more time to decide..... rolleyes oh oh

posted by Rikko
Will consult a lawyer tonight. - Rikko, JUL 6, 2010
lol - Vaanz, JUL 6, 2010
2

Entiendo...no "no" y no "si" - si - oops - vale...bueno...pues..

Suena genial Heidita...

Estaré allí :o

posted by nonombre
1

Is it web-cam or just the spoken word - I´m still hesitating due to nerves.

posted by caza
Just spoken word :). Don't worry, it's very friendly, we're all there to learn and we're all beginners :). - --Jen--, JUL 7, 2010
I am veeery nervous too... but I still am going to do it. My writing skills are about intermediate, but my speaking skills are beginner. :(( - NikkiLR, JUL 7, 2010
you took the words out of my mouth (so to speak) my written work is fine - intermediate but speaking - permament beginner! Thanks both for encouragement. - caza, JUL 7, 2010
Caza, don't worry about it. Like you I was hesitant at first, however, the ocean of fun is worth the drop of anxiety. :) - Rikko, JUL 8, 2010
1

The chat may begin a little earlier...at around 11 Spanish time. I will call all those connected.

1

Agree with Mark... I have been on a few times, even if I do not participate as much as the others. It has been very helpful, and now with more understand of the preterite and imperfect I might be able to participate more.

What time is the chat for those of us in the Central Time Zone?

Thanks, Bob

posted by kerflop
Well, it's 6 pm. on the East coast, so 5 p.m your time? - --Mariana--, JUL 6, 2010
Yeah, 5pm... I think I am busy at that time this week. - kerflop, JUL 6, 2010
1

Oh, I am forgetting Meli.

so, for all those on my group:

We are going to play the game suggested by nametaken.

Alternatives for yes/sí:

cierto....

claro

Por supuesto

pero claro

no faltaba más

sin duda

efectivamente

1

I would recommend Saturday Spanish Chat to anyone. This fabulous opportunity to hear Native Spanish Seakers speak their Natural dialects from around the World is free of charge. So, if you seriously want to learn Spanish, I will see you on the Saturday Spanish Chat at 12am Spanish Time or 11pm BST....

posted by Mark-Baker
1

Lol, thanks for that Q LOL, you just made my morning.

So... have you prepared your question words?

Yeee................ erm... I have prepared them.

posted by --Jen--
1

People who I will be calling and who have so far told me they would like to participate, if you want out, let me know:

Yesero, Dee, Greg, Rolest (if he is connected), Ray, Charlius, Silent Hero, Annie, Ian, sanlee, Rikko, uubethnw, nametaken (of coursewink ) , Markbaker,

I have place for one more ...anybody interested? Or anybody wants out? Please confirm your assistance

Other people will be called by Ruben or Ismael.

Are you counting yourself in that list Heidi? If Rolest is there too, there will be 15 of us in total. - --Jen--, JUL 6, 2010
0

I am really going to miss this tonight but I have a boat dive that was paid for 2 months ago and I know I won't be home until after 8pm. I do hope to get into whatever chat is still going on (and I know it will be) so ¡hablaré luego!

PS Believe it or not Heidi, I would rather be home for this. It is not like I'm diving in the Caribbean.

posted by Yeser007
0

Sorry I wasn't on Skype earlier, I was probably at work. I will be on on Saturday so don't bump me please.

Heidita said:

...silent hero, where are you??

I have you as a contact, and a few other people, is there something else?

edited by TheSilentHero
posted by TheSilentHero
ok, I got you, no, I will call you - 00494d19, JUL 8, 2010
0

I would definately like to participate this Saturday. I have had trouble finding the time as I work every other Saturday night (and this weekend is my wife's birthday...), but I will try to be home at that time. I really like the format of no simple answers (and I guess that means that I can't ask "¿Cuanto años tiene?"). Please add me to the group, and I will prepare some questions!

posted by estudiante9871
0

I would truly love to do this but I have had such bad luck. The 1st time it was soooo busy that I kept getting disconnected until finally after 30 minutes of waiting I just quit. The second time I tried, no one would call me and after 1 hour of just typing, I again quit. Maybe my system is just too old to be able to do this.

I can talk to my grandson in the other room but it breaks up with just the 2 of us talking. Just to listen would be good if I can only just get connected. I didn't try the last 2 Saturdays since I was not home. Maybe this Saturday.

posted by foxluv