HomeQ&AIs Manuel Vázquez Montalbán making use of colloquial meaning for "paño" in this sentence I do not understand?

Is Manuel Vázquez Montalbán making use of colloquial meaning for "paño" in this sentence I do not understand?

1

I am listening to the 15th chapter of Pepe Carvahlo y una desconocida by Manuel Vázquez Montalbán.

In the story, my detective, Pepe Carvalho, has invited his neighbor and friend, Fuster, to eat and listen to his puzzled thoughts about the case he is working on - "a monologue disguised as a dialogue".

The author writes:

Fuster no se deja convencer sin que le enseñen el paño.

I suppose that this could mean that Fuster will not let Carvahlo begin until Carvalho tells him what is in the dishes Carvalho is preparing because that is how the very next paragraph begins:

La sopa se hace a partir de un caldo de patata y tres clases de carnes: pollo, ternera y cerdo.

Or this could be a colloquial use of the word "paño" meaning that Fuster will not let Pepe get away with nonesense, but rather has to dot his i's, cross his t's and get his story straight.

From the dictionary Copyright © 2006 Chambers Harrap Publishers Limited here at Spanishdict.com, I found:

4 (expresiones)

conocer el paño -> to know the score

ser el paño de lágrimas de alguien -> to be a shoulder to cry on for somebody

en paños menores -> in one's underthings

paños calientes -> half-measures

Elsewhere I also found

jugar a dos paños = to play a double game

conocerse el paño = to know what's what

Nowhere did I find "enseñar el paño" .......

Can someone help me understand?

posted by Janice

1

Enseñar el paño means that you don't buy or pay anything if you haven't seen before.

First show me the clothes, I touch it, I know is good, I buy it.

First show me what are you cooking, I smell, I look and I take it.

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=paño

conocer alguien el paño. Estar enterado de que se trata.

No se usa a menudo, es una frase poco utilizada.

posted by maria01
0

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Te doy las gracias. ..and I will sleep soundly tonight...not like my poor Pepe who is dreaming of intergalactic hitchhikers....

posted by Janice