HomeQ&AMy neighbor said "chismear" means "cheer up." ??

My neighbor said "chismear" means "cheer up." ??

2

Hello,

My neighbor is Spanish-speaking; I asked him the meaning of "chismear," and he said it means "Cheer up!" Would you say more about this?

Thank you,

D. Drybread

posted by 41Diana23
Welcome to the forum - FELIZ77, JUL 2, 2010
Diana - FELIZ77, JUL 2, 2010
Gracias, Feliz! - 41Diana23, JUL 2, 2010
de nada amiga - FELIZ77, JUL 2, 2010

2

Chismear normally means =to gossip

í Anímate! normally means =cheer up

I do not know why your neighbour would have said chismear to you. Perhaps one of the native speakers here like Gekkosan, Julian Chiv or Heidita could tell you if there is any regional variation of meaning with the word/verb **Chismear but as far as I can see it certainly doesn't mean cheer up**

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Good morning, Feliz. - --Mariana--, JUL 2, 2010
Buenos Días, Marianne - FELIZ77, JUL 2, 2010
2

Hi Diana. Welcome to the forum.

I've never heard the word used that way.

Chismear = to gossip

Animar = to cheer up

Gracias, Marianne; my neighbor is Puerto Rican. I suspect some idiom here, yes? - 41Diana23, JUL 2, 2010
Chismear means to gossip in Puerto Rico, Mexico, Spain, Venezuela, or wherever Spanish is spoken. It does not mean to cheer up. - Gekkosan, JUL 2, 2010
1

En el diccionario "chismear" means "to gossip"

posted by wuncie
1

Diana said:

my neighbor is Puerto Rican. I suspect some idiom here, yes?

I would ask him.

Say "Hey, I've been trying to study Spanish and I looked up "chismear" and saw that the dictionary said "gossip"...what do you think of that? Can I use it both ways?...Thanks for helping me!"

I've found that Spanish-speaking folks are more than happy to help you learn their beautiful language. grin