HomeQ&AUses of Ser & Estar in Regards to the Location of an Event

Uses of Ser & Estar in Regards to the Location of an Event

3

So my question is about using ser when talking about place. I know that usually it's estar, except in the case of origin, for example ¿De dóndeeres?Soyde los estados unidos.
I also ran across something saying that you use ser instead of estar regarding location when you're talking about the location of an event, for example La fiestaesen mi casa. My question is regarding the asking of the question about where some event is happening. Would you use ser or estar to ask about where the party/race/move/ect is happening?

EX: which is right? ¿Dóndeestala fiesta? OR ¿Dóndeesla fiesta?

Thanks! ¡Gracias!

edited by MeEncantanCarasSonrisas
posted by bumbbles21
I changed your title. Hopefully more people will check out your question... (Everyone is pretty tired about being asked the uses of ser versus estar) since there are probably thousands of questions asking that - MeEncantanCarasSonrisas, JUN 30, 2010
¡Gracias! - bumbbles21, JUN 30, 2010
All the same, I'm sure that doing a quick search and reading the answers will clarify the question for you. Understanding the difference between Ser & Estar is a very difficult challenge for English speakers. - Gekkosan, JUN 30, 2010
over all I get it - it's just this one thing about ser and location that's tripping me up. ¿Dónde es la fiesta? Just sounds odd to me and in all the books, searches, etc it is only illustrated with examples that are statements, never questions. - bumbbles21, JUN 30, 2010
La fiesta is an event, with a geographical location, which you enquire with "ser". ¿Dónde es eso? ¿Dónde es el cine? If you wish to know about the state of the party, then you use estar: "¿cómo estuvo esa rumba?" - Gekkosan, JUN 30, 2010
¡Gracias Gekkosan! That answers my question. - bumbbles21, JUN 30, 2010

2

Hello Bumbbles, welcome to the Forum!

If you look carefully on the right side of the screen, right under the green button that says: "Ask a Question", you will find a place where you can do a search.

I suggest you do a search for the words "ser estar", and you will see lots and lots of answers that have been provided for this, one of the most commonly asked questions in this forum.

While you are at it, you may also do a search for "agua", and rid yourself forever of the nagging doubt of why "agua" seems to be of female gender, but is written as "el agua". grin

Have fun, and welcome!

posted by Gekkosan
I woke up crabby but now I'm feeling better (had two good chuckles, thanks to you and Eddy). - margaretbl, JUN 30, 2010
0

Anything you need to know on ser y estar, have a look here.

All about ser y estar