HomeQ&A¿Qué quiere decir "Don't try to cover the sun with?"

¿Qué quiere decir "Don't try to cover the sun with?"

1

don t try to cover the sun with

edited by --Mariana--
posted by enith

4

Now, now, Marianne - I'm disappointed. You must have gotten burned up with your last feat of guessing with the "motor" thread! :-D

The expression is: "Don't try to cover the sun with your finger" - "No intentes tapar el sol con un dedo".

This means that you can pretend that something is not there, as when you put your thumb or finger in front of your eyes so that you cover the sun (or the moon for that matter) and don't see it anymore. But that doesn't meant the sun has gone away or that anything has really changed.

So don't try to ignore the facts and gloss things over - deal with the real issue!

No trates de cubrir el sol con un dedo. El sol no desaparece realmente - y los problemas tampoco se van si tratamos de ignorarlos o hacemos como que no están.

edited by Gekkosan
posted by Gekkosan
Hmm...I can't find that saying anywhere online. It's a new one to me. :-) - --Mariana--, JUN 30, 2010
Try searching for just "tapar el sol con" in Google. You'll find lots of rereferences! - Gekkosan, JUN 30, 2010
Thank you, Gekkosan. Lovely expression and great explanation. - peregrinamaria, JUN 30, 2010
I learned that one in a Son By Four song called Puro Dolor "con un dedo no se tapa el sol" I always thought it was a great expression. - alba3, JUN 30, 2010
1

"No quieras tapar el sol con un dedo". Meaning or trying to say that you are trying to cover something that is impossible to cover up. For example, a big mistake and then you are trying to fix it with something that is very noticeable.

posted by 00e46f15
I like this explanation better than mine. Nice! - Gekkosan, JUN 30, 2010
0

He buscado en el internet, pero no encontré nada con el dicho "Don't try to cover the sun with...."