HomeQ&AA cada chancho (puerco) le llega su San Martín.

A cada chancho (puerco) le llega su San Martín.

2

Here's another proverb for GUESSING smile

Let's keep it fun and try in the beginning with NO RESEARCH!

What do you think may be the meaning of this proverb and can you think of the closest English equivalent proverb?

¿Qué crees que puede ser el significado de este proverbio y se te ocurren más cercano el proverbio equivalente en Inglés?

To help for those of us whose South American history could do with a little brushing up here's a little info from Wikipedia about 'San Martin'

José Francisco de San Martín Matorras, also known as José de San Martín (25 February 1778 – 17 August 1850), was an Argentine general and the prime leader of the southern part of South America's successful struggle for independence from Spain.

updated NOV 10, 2015
posted by Kiwi-Girl
For every pig there comes St Martin - his feast day, that is Nothing whatsoever to do with Argentina's war of indepence - Sappensly, NOV 9, 2015
I think the connection just comes from the tradition of serving roast pig at the Fiesta de San Martín - the extra info about San Martín was just posted as an aside ;) - Kiwi-Girl, NOV 10, 2015

2

Oh, my. The only thing that I can think of is "Every dog will have his day." Even the lowliest will have the chance to overcome or to be the winner. Now...that's probably about as far off base as it's possible to get and still be on Planet Earth. lol wink

updated NOV 9, 2015
posted by Delores--Lindsey
maría claire, try not to laugh too hard! - Delores--Lindsey, JUN 26, 2010
I thought that was a good guess much better/closer than mine - FELIZ77, JUN 26, 2010
The phrase means that the spring pigs hand fed with acorns in the mountain villages of Spain are slaughtered November 11 (the feast day) when the weather has gotten cold enough that the meat can be hung and cured without artificial regrigeration. - Sappensly, NOV 9, 2015
1

Having just read about the general and trying to make an intelligent connection lol I would guess:

= (To) Each (every) prisoner awaits the arrival of his Independence

or perhaps: To every prisoner comes his liberty (San Martin moment)

I may well be way out lol if so then I am waiting for the next clue hahah

posted by FELIZ77
Tying it in with "liberty" seems to be along the right lines, don't you think? :-) - Delores--Lindsey, JUN 26, 2010
I think so in view of the general's role in liberating people - FELIZ77, JUN 26, 2010
or perhaps even ' independence ' - FELIZ77, JUN 26, 2010
0

Delores you're just too good!!! Bien hecho - you have hit the nail on the head.

Dolores eres demasiado buena y has dado en el clavo (is that how you say - you've hit the nail on the head lol)

You're exactly right!

'Every dog has it's day.'

I can see I'm going to have to make these proverbs a little harder.

Well done Feliz too, thanx for your participation I think you're going to have to be pretty quick to beat Delores lol

updated MAR 17, 2012
edited by Kiwi-Girl
posted by Kiwi-Girl