Sinkhole: cenote, desaguadero, sumidero or boquete?

Sinkhole: cenote, desaguadero, sumidero or boquete?


How amazing is the sinkhole in Guatemala, I hope no-one you know was affected by it and our hearts go out to those who were.

Does anyone know if 'cenote', 'desaguadero', 'sumidero', 'boquete' or some other word is the correct translation for sinkhole?

Sinkhole in Guatemala


Whoops I've just noticed there was a similar post a few hours ago, I must have missed that one, I'll leave this up just incase anyone has missed seeing the image.


updated JUN 3, 2010
edited by Kiwi-Girl
posted by Kiwi-Girl

2 Answers


Hi, Maria Claire.

I checked your 4 words plus "agujero" on google.com.mx and came up with news releases using three of the words: "agujero", "sumidero" and "boquete".

In Mexico a "cenote" refers to a natural quarry sort of area where the water has flowed up from an underground river.

"Desaguar" means to "flow into something", such as a river flowing into another body of water.

I hope this helps. Thanks for the photo. It is unbelievable.

updated JUN 3, 2010
posted by mountaingirl123
Thanx Mountain Girl that's good to know :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUN 2, 2010

I don't know the word sinkhole, but if see that and I say "agujero"

updated JUN 2, 2010
edited by wirita
posted by wirita
"Agujero" is the word being used by the Guatemala press. - waltico, JUN 2, 2010
because that is - wirita, JUN 2, 2010
SpanishDict is the world's most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and learning website.