Idiomatic Expressions with the word Mentira = Lie (Expresiones Idiomáticas con la palabra mentira)

2

An Idiom is is an expression, word, or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is comprehended in regards to a common use of that expression that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made.

Word:

Mentira = Lie

Mentira piadosa : when you lie to somebody for pity or compassion.

Mentira oficiosa: when you lie with the purpose to be liked by someone.

Coger a alguien en mentira: to catch somebody lying.

Decir mentira por sacar verdad or sacar verdad por mentira : to pretend to know something with the purpose to make another person who really knows to talk about it.

Parece mentira. to denote surprise, this is incredible!

Please feel free to discuss further or add new Idioms using the same word.

updated MAR 1, 2010
edited by juluque
posted by juluque
"Coger a alguien en mentira"???? What???
Hi julu! It's your friendly editing angel...just wanted to point out you need "catch" not "caught" and just pluralize "regard"to "regards". I really like these posts. How many more have you done? Can you edit them so they all start with Julu's Idioms?
Or something equally easy to search for?
Have you seen Benz' post about Wicilengua?
"agarrar" in your case Benz :-) Thank you renaerules !
Wicilengua? .I can not find that...

1

"La mentira tiene patas cortas" : A lie has short legs.

The meaning of this is that a lie is difficult to hold, and you will be caught sooner or later.

updated MAR 1, 2010
edited by 00e657d4
posted by 00e657d4
0

Hey, is the last one used when you are so surprised that someone is lying?

posted by BellaMargarita
not necesarily when somebody lie, simple when you are suprise for something incredible, it is too say it is so incredible that seems lilke a lie, "parece mentira" even when it is true
0

That's a great idea. Maybe you could always have the title include the words "Idiomatic Expressions with:" because when I search that your Jesús post is almost at the top of the list. If I just search "Idioms" then their a various posts to search through. There may be a better way but I haven't been on the site long enough to really know. Isn't there a reference section? Maybe they could be in that.

posted by alba3
0

yes, I thought I can post one word per day. any suggestion to make it easy to access or find?

posted by juluque
0

I'm enjoying your "Idiom" posts. Was the one with the word "Jesús" the first one?

posted by alba3