Translation Exercise for Beginners: Number 10

12

This is a thread specifically designed with beginners in mind. If other exercises intimidate you this one shouldn't! Keep in mind that it doesn't matter if you don't get it all right. The actual process of attempting translation, and then correcting yourself is what helps us learn!

There are three rules:

• Don't look at other people's translations until you have made your own.
  • Do not use a translation engine. (Although you can use a dictionary)
  • Do vote for the best answers and this thread. If there is a tie, votes make a difference.

So here is our sentence for Number 10:

"Los hombres son como los astros, que unos dan luz de sí y otros brillan con la que reciben."

José Martí

Please remember to answer and then vote! This helps our thread and helps to choose a winner because if there is a word-for-word tie the answer with the most votes wins! The winner automatically recieves 20 reputation points not counting any votes he/she may have garnered. Every participant receives a vote from me as well for participating. Keep in mind that if you need some time to come up with an answer and the thread disappears you can find it under the category: Games and Challenges. Have fun! The translation will be posted on Wednesday.

posted by renaerules

1

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for participating in what is my favorite thread so far! All of you did so well that it took me a long time to narrow it down. But eventually someone has to be chosen!

Congatulations CrazyDiamond!

You did as well as the best and garnered the most votes! Thank you everyone out there who did vote! It really helps me out when there are so many close translations!

You will see that the English translation chosen is quite different to those we have read so far, but I am convinced that it captures what is being said after discussing things with a native speaker. So enjoy the unveiling!

Men are like the stars; yes, some give light, but others blaze with what they have absorbed.

posted by renaerules
1

Men are like the heavens, some give off their own light and other shine with what they receive.

posted by nkfm
Awesome job! You tied for second in my book! Hope to see you in the next thread! You forgot to pluralize "others"
0

Thank you everyone for all the great responses! Please get busy voting as there are a lot of great answers and I am going to have my hands full choosing the answer....Any last entrys? Think about the way the sentence reads..how can you make it stronger?

posted by renaerules
0

Our English translation is due tomorrow. Now is the chance to edit your entries....

Hint: Think of the comparison being made in the sentence...how can you make the comparison stronger and clearer by choosing stronger more detailed English words without changing the meaning of the sentence???

See you all tomorrow!

posted by renaerules
0

We all have one more day left before the time of reckoning! Please vote for the best translations and this thread if you are reading this. Voting helps break ties and helps our thread continue by rewarding those who participate. Does anyone else want a try at it?

posted by renaerules