HomeQ&AHow would the phrases "pardoned prodigal" and "forgiven prodigal" be translated into Espanol for use as a username/email address?

How would the phrases "pardoned prodigal" and "forgiven prodigal" be translated into Espanol for use as a username/email address?

1

Dear friends, I have just begun to study Espanol via the internet & your website is outstanding among the others. In my autodidactic endeavors, I'm hoping to translate as much of my day to day use of language from English to Spanish. As a Christian and recovering alcoholic, being sober for just over 2 years now, by His grace & for His glory, I have been using the phrase, "pardoned prodigal", as one word (pardonedprodigal) for my usernames/email addresses, etc. However when I attempted to translate the phrase into Espanol, I had no problem with the word, prodigal (translated prodigo w/ accent mark over the first "o") but I cannot find the correct translation in the appropriate tense of the word for "pardoned". As an alternative, I am considering using the phrase "forgiven prodigal" instead of "pardoned prodigal" depending upon which looks/sounds best. Regarding the order of the words, I assume that the Spanish word for "prodigal" would come first, followed by the word for "pardoned" or "forgiven" but I'm not certain. Therefore, if you would be so kind, please let me know how the two potential usernames (pardonedprodigal &/or forgivenprodigal) would appear "en Espanol". I would be very grateful for your time, expertise and consideration regarding this matter! Sincerely, Jeffrey Burwell

posted by IMAJesusFreak

1

My dear friend, I take an immense pleasure in answering your pleasant and educated letter. Please, do not by any means think that my answer is correct. . I could be correct but then again I am known for making mistakes. Yes, yes, my dear fellow, we humans are prone to make errors in our travel to eternity. Often we take the wrong turn at the fork on the road. But, we are illuminated when accepting our mistakes. You are a perfect example of this, you have accepted that Bill Wilson knows the way and this and making the effort to return to the right path makes you a “prodigo perdonado” .

posted by 00769608
Gus, would this not mean the prodigal is pardoning using the participle? - nizhoni1, ENE 19, 2010
For my part, you're better known for "Ho ho ho". - samdie, ENE 19, 2010
do you mean, Ho ho ho as we say up north? - 00769608, ENE 20, 2010
Dear nizhon1- I can't answer your question because, I known Spanish by inspiration rather than perspiration. - 00769608, ENE 20, 2010
0

"prodigal perdonado". The use of the past participles of verbs as adjectives is quite common. That's the grammatical answer. Given that Spanish speaking countries (their inhabitants, actually, since countries don't speak) are predominantly Catholic and given my lack of familiarity with Evangelical Catholics (I don't even know if such movements exist), this may sound a bit strange in Spanish.

posted by samdie
0

perdón.

1. m. Acción de perdonar.

2. m. Remisión de la pena merecida, de la ofensa recibida o de alguna deuda u obligación

Fuente: Real Academia Española (rae.com)

posted by 00769608
0

Perdonar, absolver,dispensar all are synonyms for pardon. I would think the preterit would show the past tense as you are asking. You can look at the conjugation tables for the form. I think you would use the 3rd person singular since you were pardoned by God.

posted by nizhoni1
awaiting the grammarians - nizhoni1, ENE 19, 2010
Yo fui perdonado. - 00769608, ENE 19, 2010
0

pródigo, ga.

1. adj. Que desprecia generosamente la vida u otra cosa estimable
  2. ffuente RAE (rae.com)

Infinitivo perdonar...........

Participio perdonado.....................

Gerundio perdonando.........................

posted by 00769608