HomeQ&AWhat is the formation of the preterito perfecto?

What is the formation of the preterito perfecto?

0

I need to know the endings for regular ar, er and ir verbs in preterito perfecto.

updated NOV 15, 2009
posted by JujuHK
Please help! - JujuHK, NOV 15, 2009

0

I apologize for the confusion, but many people refer to both the simple past and the compound past as the pretérito perfecto. Notice how the préterito anterior is also called the préterito perfecto by the author in the article below.

Préterito anterior

Actually the English tenses of simple past, present perfect and past perfect are all called préterito perfecto (technically not correct, but common usage).

To distinguish them I suggest using:

simple past: préterito perfecto simple

present perfect: préterito perfecto compuesto

past perfect: préterito anterior

This confusion is compounded by the fact that Spanish also has another simple past (pretérito imperfecto) and another past perfect (préterito pluscuamperfecto).

It's so confusing, that own conjugator refers to the préterito anterior as the pluperfect when actually in Spanish the préterito pluscuamperfecto is the pluperfect pluperfect/pluscuamperfecto.

I've long since given up trying to guess what is what unless I know that the person that I am talking to and myself are discussing the same tense and mood.

updated NOV 15, 2009
0

You can also go here

and enter any -ar, -er, -ir verb and see all off the conjugations

updated NOV 15, 2009
edited by aloshek
posted by aloshek
0

Well there are plenty of exceptions to the rules but...

AR - é aste ó amos asteis (Spain) aron

ER/IR í iste ió imos isteis (Spain) ieron

updated NOV 15, 2009
posted by jeezzle
OK, if she means the preterite (préterito prefecto simple) and not the preterite perfect. If she meant the simple past I wasn't giving her enough credit. - 0074b507, NOV 15, 2009
0

You would use the preterite form of the auxilary verb haber (indicative) and the past participle of the verb. The past participle is the only part of the construction that changes according to conjugation type (ar, er, ir).

Preterit (haber)

• hube + past participle
  • hubiste
  • hubo
  • hubimos
  • hubisteis
  • hubieron + past participle

I'd be cautious translating English verb tense titles word for word into Spanish.

updated NOV 15, 2009
?? - jeezzle, NOV 15, 2009