HomeQ&AFollow up on how to say I missed you and your smile

Follow up on how to say I missed you and your smile

1

Hey guys . I recently asked how to say " I missed you, and your beautiful smile". I assumed it would be "te extrañé, y tu sonrisa hermosa". I received "te extrañé a ti, y a tu hermosa sonrisa" as an answer and it appears to be correct as no one left a corrective comment. Is the "a ti" and the "a" before the tu just a more proper way to write it? I guess I want to say it as two seperate back to back statements/sentences, even though grammatically I wrote it as one. Any help would be most appreciated!!

updated OCT 6, 2009
posted by kenmasters

2

If you just wanted to say "I missed you", either "te extrañé or "te extrañé a ti" would be acceptable (I think the former would be more common). When you extend the thought to "Ï missed you and your smile." , you introduce the problem of a compound object. In English this is not much of an issue but in Spanish you can't have two parallel pronouns in front of the verb (you could if one were a direct and one an indirect object but that's not the case here). The conceptual parallelism requires a corresponding grammatical parallelism. The solution is the parallelism provided by "a ti y a tu sonrisa". The "te" may seem redundant to you but to Spanish speakers it sounds necessary.

posted by samdie
Wow that cleared things up for me! Is the "ti" pronounced like englsih "tea"? - kenmasters, OCT 2, 2009
vowels in spanish have a tendency to being more short and concise, so instead of 'tea' it would be 'tee' but without a long sound. - zenejero, OCT 6, 2009
1

te extrañé a ti, y a tu hermosa sonrisa

it is absolutely correct. if you ask about the a ti and a tu they both imply the you, in the first case being i missed (to) you and your beautiful smile.

it's just proper grammar in Spanish.

ps:'a ti' is not adding emphasis. a is a preposition, and ti is a personal pronoun, and the are the same as to you.

updated NOV 30, 2010
edited by zenejero
posted by zenejero
but the point is that "te" is already serving the same purpose, the "a tí¨ is not necessary because the ¨te¨is there. - arnold3, OCT 2, 2009
i agree but my only but here is that spoken language, especially Spanish, has a tendency to being rather repetitive, which is still correct. my comment was mostly directed to those that aren't native speakers since they'll hear that often in conversatiion - zenejero, OCT 6, 2009
0

For the first part, it's fine to just say "Te extrañe"...the "te" is getting the "you" part in there, connecting with the verb extrañar, but the "a tí" adds an emphasis, and for the "smile", the "a" is connecting the "tu sonrisa" also back to the verb.

To further clarify, "te" serves the same purpose here as "a tí"

You have a couple of equally grammatically correct options here,

Te extrañé.

Te extrañé a tí.

are all fine.

In my experience, friends from Colombia, Peru, and Argentina have all used ¨te extrañé" with me a number of times, and no one has ever really said "Extrañé a tí", although it would be grammatically correct.

updated OCT 2, 2009
edited by arnold3
posted by arnold3
p.s. Buena Suerte...Good Luck ;-) - arnold3, OCT 2, 2009
So would te extrane , y a tu hermosa sonrisa be ok? - kenmasters, OCT 2, 2009
0

Te extrañé a ti y a tu hermosa sonrisa.

updated OCT 2, 2009
posted by liloman