HomeQ&AI need a Spanish word that begins with "w" for my Spanish homework. Are there any?

I need a Spanish word that begins with "w" for my Spanish homework. Are there any?

1

I am a student and I am taking a Spanish class. We got assigned a project where we have to make a chart of the Spanish letters and underneath them, in a box, we have to write a word that begins with the letter and a picture of it. My only letter left is "w." I really need to know a word that begins with the letter "w".

updated AGO 21, 2017
posted by spanishelee
w - Dianne8989, AGO 21, 2017

3

Holy Translators, Batman. Look to the top of your screen and type in the letter w. Lets see what pops up! grin

updated SEP 29, 2009
posted by quépasa
Ooo you beat me by 8 seconds! *lol* - AnnoLoki, SEP 29, 2009
hahahaha. - quépasa, SEP 29, 2009
nice - Izanoni1, SEP 29, 2009
Sorry, I´ll be nice now. - quépasa, SEP 29, 2009
now we all know the Spanish word for a bar where hostesses chat with clients! jajaja - arnold3, SEP 29, 2009
*lol* sometimes you learn more from anothers questions than you do your own! - AnnoLoki, SEP 29, 2009
This was a new one for me. - quépasa, SEP 29, 2009
1

I looked this up just recently. The website that I found said that 'w' and 'k' weren't really native to the language.

This is true of many languages, the letters 'v' and 'w' are interchangeable (often by regional accent rather than differences in spelling of words) ... you can hear the word "vodka" pronounced as "wodka" or "wagon" pronounced "vargon" ... same with l's and r's as you go further east.

As you pronounce V as a B in Spanish, in Russian it's reversed, you pronounce B as a V! So where you see the word ?????, you don't say "bodka" (the ? gives you a 'D' sound) you say 'vodka'.

updated SEP 29, 2009
posted by AnnoLoki
omg....da da....actually alot of the consonants in Russian are not pronounced quite the same... there are three "sh"s, and none are exactly like how English speakers make the sound. Spanish is so much easier. - arnold3, SEP 29, 2009
I like "I'm going to the pactopah" after seeing the wrod "Ресторан" (P=R, C=S, H=N = Restoran = Restaurant!) - AnnoLoki, SEP 29, 2009
da, ya tebya ponimayoo ;-) - arnold3, SEP 29, 2009
1

I looked this up just recently. The website that I found said that 'w' and 'k' weren't really native to the language. They were just used for words from other languages that had been adopted into Spanish.

updated SEP 29, 2009
posted by Jason_Bryant
1

I don't think so either. When I went to my Oxford Spanish-English dictionary, there were only 14 words, and all a little "suspect" ....like "waterpolo", "web", "walkman", "whisky"....and here is a cool one... "windsurfista" (for "windsurfer")

When I typed in a w in our dictionary here to see what auto-suggest would pop up with...it came up with "whiskería" a feminine noun for ... "bar where hostesses chat with clients" wink

I remember having an assignment in high school Spanish class to come up with a word for every letter. I think everyone had the exact same word for w..."whisky"...(also in my dictionary)

updated SEP 29, 2009
edited by arnold3
posted by arnold3
Windsurfista is cool! - quépasa, SEP 29, 2009
These were in the spanish dictionary? That sounds iffy lol. - Vince_Peña, SEP 29, 2009
yeah, pretty cool, I hope Spanishelee uses that one! - arnold3, SEP 29, 2009
Yeah, like I said, the Oxford Spanish Dictionary, but it's clearly like the other guys says...these are all pretty much "borrowed" words. - arnold3, SEP 29, 2009
1

My favorite Spanish word beginning with W is "waflera" (waffle iron)

updated SEP 29, 2009
posted by Goyo
0

Lol I guess whiskeria

updated SEP 29, 2009
posted by Vince_Peña
0

Press 'w' in the translate box at the top of the screen and wait for the popdown suggestion box

updated SEP 29, 2009
posted by AnnoLoki
0

I don't think there is one. Actually I'm pretty sure there isn't.

updated SEP 29, 2009
posted by Vince_Peña